Italian Grapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian Grapes

Has anyone here experience with an Italian grape supplier called "Vino Superiore"? My local HBS purchased a number of pallets of DOCG-certified organic frozen grapes, and are offering them for sale. They are somewhat on the pricey side. Oh hell, not just somewhat. They are VERY MUCH on the pricey side. So before I shell out a chunk of hard-earned cash, I wanted to first do some sleuthing.

Since you guys are closer to the source, I thought maybe someone here has heard of them.
    Steve

Not directly. But what varietals do you have?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Sangiovese, Colorino (which I've never heard of), Trebbiano, Cabernet, and Merlot. I was hoping for some Nebbiolo, but no such luck.
      Steve

Comment

Not famililar with that supplier, though wasn't a fan of the Sangiovese we got here a couple of years back, also not a fan of trebbiano, done three years running and never had anything I would call great, very grassy flavour.
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
          Sangiovese, Colorino (which I've never heard of), Trebbiano, Cabernet, and Merlot. I was hoping for some Nebbiolo, but no such luck.
          Got to agree with Karl really.
          Merlot comes up good - year after year I have made it with RC 212 and K1V-1116 both good.

Colorino might be 'Ciliegiolo' sometimes spelt Giliegiolo - this is a hybrid Sangiovese. Not thrilling, but an okay light wine. made up this year with BM4x4 and oak in primary ( remember the fire !!)

I am surprised you didn't get offered Montepulciano - this is the Italian favourite. One of the bigger grape varieties clean fruit taste with a dry finish. Runs good with BDX.
          Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 04-07-2012, 01:12 PM. Reason: added more yeast
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Colorino is not Ciliegiolo. It is an old grape that was/is used in blends. It apparently is very dark and adds colour to such blends as old style Chianti...according to google.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
              Has anyone here experience with an Italian grape supplier called "Vino Superiore"? My local HBS purchased a number of pallets of DOCG-certified organic frozen grapes, and are offering them for sale. They are somewhat on the pricey side. Oh hell, not just somewhat. They are VERY MUCH on the pricey side. So before I shell out a chunk of hard-earned cash, I wanted to first do some sleuthing.

Since you guys are closer to the source, I thought maybe someone here has heard of them.

Hi Steve

I spoke with the owner of the company this morning (I have PM'd you his contact details, he would welcome a phone call from you to chat.....nice guy)

Piedmont grapes may be available for 2012 including Nero D'avola and barbera

he is interested in shipping to the UK...

regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                Not famililar with that supplier, though wasn't a fan of the Sangiovese we got here a couple of years back, also not a fan of trebbiano, done three years running and never had anything I would call great, very grassy flavour.
                The Sangiovese from last year is turning out quite nicely I found. Better I feel than than the Merlot which I have found from last year is slightly on the light (colour) side. It had Rohapect + oak + a good long time on the skins. Any one else seen this lack of extraction. My default is to blame myself - maybe allowed too much light during maturing.

Back on topic: the Italians seem to be good at exporting grapes. Generally the qulaity of the fruit upon arrival seems pretty good to me. Those with more experience may wish to agree or disagree. Not sure how long between picking and delivery is or whether they spray them with sulphite before shipping which I would have thought would make a difference.
                Simon
                "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post

Piedmont grapes may be available for 2012 including Nero D'avola and barbera

he is interested in shipping to the UK...

regards
                  Bob
                  I would be interested in having some shipped to the UK

Would this be a forum thing? Bulk buy discount? Collection from Yorkshire? Or contact them direct?

Apologies for going off topic Steve.

Rob

Comment

Yes would be a forum thing, but perhaps a grapefest thing......
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

These are super premium grapes so would not be cheap though
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Quality usually comes at a price. I'm still very interested.

Would it be a shipment of frozen must and run alongside fresh grapes from Brian?

Rob

Comment

Still early days Rob, might not be possible this year, but working on it, have left Brian a voicemail, as he will be interested for all his other customers

regards
                          Bob
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
                              Not sure how long between picking and delivery is or whether they spray them with sulphite before shipping which I would have thought would make a difference.
                              The grapes my supplier is offering are organic (I'm presuming this means that the only fungicide applied was Bordeaux mix). And they were flash frozen after harvest. No sulphite added whatsoever.

A friend of mine has made the Sangiovese and says they are very good quality. The color and flavor is quite good. He is bringing a bottle over this weekend for me to try. I am thinking of doing something along the lines of a "super Tuscan", which is a blend of Sangiovese with Cab and/or Merlot.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X