Brix 24 (S.G. 1.100)
    TA 5.5 g/l
    PH 3.69

Merlot
    Brix 24 (S.G. 1.100)
    TA 5.5 g/l
    PH 3.61

PH too high on both and acids too low

busy calculating Tartaric acid additions (that whirring clanking sound you hear is me thinking....)
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

another long day for you then bob every thing washed down and tidied up feet up with a glass of wine zzzzzzzzz
    mark
    "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

Where do you get all the energy Bob?
      REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

i bet hes fast asleep dreaming of stainless steel conical fermenters and white tiled floors and killer fruit flies
        mark
        "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

My calculations for a 5 gallon batch was an addition of 180 grammes of tartaric acid....

wanted to lift S.G. by 1.0 so each 0.1 increase required 18 grammes per 19 litres
          this batch is around 12 gallons (54 litres) so decided it needed 51 grammes per 0.1 increase

So...

510 grammes required

Intend to add 100 grammes at at time

checked after first 100 gramme addition and the figures have gone bananas....(TA 11.0 and PH 2.9) I think it's probably because the grapes are still fairly whole, so we are light on ammount of juice...will check numbers again tomorrow

fingers crossed I havent messed up

(I'm pretty confident I haven't)
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

is there any specific reason why you would use tartaric acid why not malic or citric
            mark
            "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

Tartaric is always the acid of choice when working with grapes.

It's less volatile than the others and its easy to precipitate out.

however...

it looks like i've really messed up my calculations and have added at least twice the acid i should have.

I think there may be a fix........watch this space...

best not to make these calculations when you are tired.
              Last edited by lockwood1956; 15-09-2006, 10:37 PM. Reason: shocking spelling...still tired obviously
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                My calculations for a 5 gallon batch was an addition of 180 grammes of tartaric acid....

wanted to lift S.G. by 1.0 so each 0.1 increase required 18 grammes per 19 litres
                there is the mistake right there....

i needed to lift TA by 0.1 NOT 1.0

what a dip****
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Everyone knows I am not a big worrier over acid. I guess I just never 'got' it and my wines seem to usually turn out drinkable.

Why do you add tartaric acid to the must only to try and precipitate it out later?
                  REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Didn't neccesarily want to precipitate it out...I think thats on of the reasons tartaric is used ahead of citric and malic

Wated the acid up to drop the PH

everything ive read says that getting the PH right is most important ..

I cant believe I made such a basic mistake, checked ...double checked...and re-checked my calculations

BUT..

my starting assumption was wrong....decided I needed to adjust by 1.0 TA and it was 0.1 TA adjustment required

woe is me

I was going to leave it till morning because i was so tired....wish i had now

so in cold light of day (well actually its still dark as it's 4.40am) far too much acid in the must...

going to go and make a cuppa and think it through
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Do you think you will need to add chalk or what? At least the SG started high enough that you can add some water. 10-11% abv ain't too bad if the wine tastes good dry. Know what I mean?
                      REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Well ...

went back to bed at 6 to have a think about it...

Back up again now feeling a little less stressed.

Went downsatairs to test and hurrah..........my PH meter won't work!

TA is at 10 g/l

Tasted it......it's ok ...not as acid as you might think......so I think I may just let it ferment and see what happens and do any acid reductions at the end, the low PH might make it very fruity which might take care of a little of the acid.

regards
                        Bob
                        Last edited by lockwood1956; 16-09-2006, 09:18 AM.
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I think the wait it out and see is a very good idea.
                          REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Miscalculations all round.......Really can't do this stuff when you are tired can you?

the batches (2) are just over 60 litres (not 54) split into 4 buckets with 30 litres in each

I added 4 litres of sugar syrup at 24 brix to each 30 litre bucket...

squished the berries to extract more juice from them (this also i think was throwing my figures off but i was too tired and emotional to figure it out)

stirred stirred and then stirred some more

Have Potassium carbonate in reserve but will use it later on if i need to

Numbers are now

TA 7.5 g/l
                            PH 3.05

Because I have added the sugar syrup I am going to attempt to leave it a few days before pitching the yeast to see if i can maximise colour extraction and flavour

I think I may be in better shape than I dreamed possible yesterday (and at 4.20 a.m. this morning)

thank you for the help and guidance guys

you are great

regards
                            Bob
                            Last edited by lockwood1956; 16-09-2006, 05:37 PM.
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVID
                              Throw that sodding ph tester away Bob and save yourself alot of hassle.

Merlot de-stemmed and lightly crushed by hand starting sg 1.110

David, did you add sugar to up the SG?
                              REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Working...
                              X