No announcement yet.

Cab Sav and Merlot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob, Did you add any camden tabs before you pitched the yeast?I read to do so after crushing, 24 hrs before pitching the yeast.Something about killing any bacteria that might be present on the grapes, please advise .

Thanks Kodiak

Comment

No I didnt sulphite the must, initially i was planning on fermenting on the natural yeast, (sulphites would kill the natural yeast) but bottled out and pitched a commerial yeast in....

Will add campden tablet(s) at first racking.

When visiting Balistreri winery in Denver and subsequent visits to other wineries I realised that professional winemakers aren't as crazy as we are about sulphite additions etc.

They just pitch the grapes in and let them go.

they arent as fanatical as we are about sanitation either, don't get me wrong....they sanitise..

just not as much as we do, you should sanitise well just dont get all freaky about it, and sanitise your eyebrows before racking!

hobby winemakers seem to think that we can sterilise things...we cant..we are sanitising, we don't have the ability to sterilise ( QUOTE "sterilising is the removal of all living organisms, you can not do that at home" ....Rick Theiner ..Logic inc.)

regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I concur. I am not near as fanatical about sanitizing as I used to be.
        REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Sounds good to me thanks !!!!!!!!

Kodiak

Comment

Help needed!

Crushed today, 3 cases of Alicante,3 cases cab, 4 cases sangiovese,and 5 cases of zinfindel All about 36 lbs per case.Mixed everything primary 1 has 12 gallons, one has about 30 gallons of must, I'm going to try to go with the wild yeast so I am not adding anything at this point.My S.G. is 1.0100 Brix is 25, Tartaric is 0.375 and ppt is 2.4. I think I'm light on the acids? If so how much and what should I add.All were california grapes , The must tastes very sweet!

Very tired alot of work !

P.S. Hippie if you read this I was in Woodstock N.Y. last weekend alot of hippies still there.

Kodiak

Comment

LoL. Cool. The state of hipness is a state of the mind. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

I wish I knew something about winegrapes. Do you know the pH?
              REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Lol Hippie, I thought the ppt is the ph reading Sulfuric acid.Anyone know the answer to my questions?Starting to fizz a bit!

Kodiak.
                Last edited by Kodiak; 05-10-2006, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Nope, the ppt is the amount of acids. pH is a measure of the strength of the acids. Usually measured with a pH meter. Have no idea how they work. Some kind of magic I think. I am gonna have to get me one of those thingies.
                  REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Hippie, PH is3.8 I think I'm close to where I want to be, where are all the grape wine makers when I need them.

All good things ,Kodiak

Comment

Yea, you are close, no worries. A small amount of tartaric acid should bring the pH down to where you want it, maybe 3.4.
                      REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Thanks Hippie, ROCK N' ROLL.After 6 days sg is 1030 waiting to reach about 1010 then put in secoundary. Maybre tomarrow, that will be seven days in primary, sound ok.?

Kodiak

Comment

Yep, sounds good to me. You could even wait until closer to 1.000 if you want.
                          REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Up date brix went to 3 , moved from primary to secoundary, Bubbling away.Tasted great I think I'm heading for my best batch yet. first racking will be in about 45 days .

Thanks Kodiak.

Bob ,see all the fun you are missing!

Comment

Sorry dude!

Wish i was there instead of here in Mexico at 110 degrees drinking tequila and basking in the sun

lol

back on tuesday

sob sob
                              N.G.W.B.J.
                              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Hola senor, Bob I really feel bad for you ! lol.Remember the sun screen.

Kodiak

Comment

Working...
                                X