• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
    roll on Grapefest 2009

Top banana!
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I tried to get on the webcam, but all weekend long it said "grape_fest2008 - add request pending."
      Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        Yup, 7 is a great number for Rose' wines, 8 if you plan to sweeten it later (but doubtful, as Allison doesn't like sweeter wines, eh?).

regards,

Bob
        Thanks Bob, and Rich. Can you confirm that you got about 5 when you measured too please? I just want to check I'm testing correctly first.

Ferments progressing? Not yet, I prepared my starters yesterday afternoon, so hope to pitch around lunchtime.

Photos - sounds reasonable to me.

Northerwiner - I tried for a couple of hours to get the webcam up and running. I didn't see your add request, only Zebedee (and he couldn't see the webcam either). What you need to do is buy the photo CD, then flick through all the images REALLY fast
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

we have tons of photos, I plan on burning them to a CD/DVD and making it available to everyone

£1 plus P+P seem reasonable?

What about uploading them to a photo website, where people here can have access, and view them. If you can't be bothered or have time etc, I'll could do it for you?

Comment

• Numbers..

My Sangiovese (1 trays worth) started at 1.085, added some D47 yeast to it in the end after deliberating about letting it go on natural yeast.

The Trebbiano came in at 1.080, but only 20 litres.. That also had some D47 yeast, and appears to be going nicely.

The Cilieguilio was a perfect too, at around 1.080 and is split over 5 gallon buckets. With RC212 yeast in both.

The Grenache was little thin at 1.070 so I made some super strong sugar solution to get it up to 1.080. This lot is in a big 63 litre bucket I have. Also with RC212 yeast.

Comment

• I have a question re: my starters.

Got a number of RC212 and D47 starters going yesterday.

After about an hour, all were audibly fizzing, and they continued to do so for a couple more hours.

This morning that activity has died down. I now have a definite layer of lees in the bottom of each bottle - a few bubbles on top, but no activity as such.

I tried adding a little sugar to one bottle to see if that made a difference, but nothing.

Is this normal?
              Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Give it a little swirl.. might help.

It could be that they've used up all the sugar in the bottle? If so, would this be the time to add them into the must.

Punched the cap down on mine this morning. They are all going nicely. The Treb is down to 1.070 as indicated on a small hrdrometer floating in the must (Cheers JtFB )

Comment

• Thanks Rich.

Grenache SG was 1.070. Added approx 15oz sugar in less than 1l water to each bucket (approx. 2.5 boxes in each). SG of filtered must (fine nylon sieve) was 1.080 and 1.085 resp.

RC212 pitched in the Grenache, D47 in the Trebbiano.

Sangiovese bucket has a tap, so drew off approx. 4.5l juice for the rosé. The juice is pretty dark already. As per advice, I plan to add tartaric to around 7 and use D47.

The remainder is within 3 or 4 inches of the top of the 33l bucket. When fermentation starts, is this going to overflow (i.e. should I transfer a gallon or so to another fermenter?).
                  Pete the Instructor

Comment

• should be ok...just keep a close eye on it

interesting pic dont you think?
                    Attached Files
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Well I just sorted the Treb this morning, it's been sat 48 hrs and a 2" settlement has occured so racked off the juice which nicely filled a 15 ltr water bottle and a 1/2 gallon d/j for topping up.
                      Started a yeast last night with white grape juice, Had a brief taste of the must and added 2 tsps of tartaric....yummy zing and pitched the D47 yeast, I also added 2 table spoons of American white oak, why!, who knows
                      Last edited by Duffbeer; 15-09-2008, 11:10 AM.
                      Discount Home Brew Supplies
                      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

My, what a handsome chap.. How much had been drunk by then!!

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                        Well I just sorted the Treb this morning, it's been sat 48 hrs and a 2" settlement has occured so racked off the juice which nicely filled a 15 ltr water bottle and a 1/2 gallon d/j for topping up.
                        Started a yeast last night with white grape juice, Had a brief taste of the must and added 2 tsps of tartaric....yummy zing and pitched the D47 yeast, I also added 2 table spoons of American white oak, why!, who knows
                        Hmm, Oak in the Treb, that's an idea. I might wait till it's done, then oak just half of it.

It's quite splendid working in the garage this morning, with airlocks bubbling away like mad!

I've been busy trying to catch up on some admin, racked off 3 carboys so they don't need touching for a while. Then I've put a cheap larger kit on with some apricots in it and some proper larger yeast (SO4) to make some fruit beer. ( I was ordered to do it, after the OH tasted Bob's apricot larger)

Just a job interview to prep for now this afternoon!

Comment

should be ok...just keep a close eye on it

Scary pic
                          Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Just sorted the Grenache and sangio, there was too much pulp for the 5 gal bins so did a 60/40 Grenache/Sangio blend which now leaves me with 17 litres of each.
                            The brix on the sangio was 22 so pitched a RC212 yeast starter, the brix on the Grenach were quite low so added 2lb of sugar until brix were 22 and again RC212 yeast, the blend I used a Youngs Burgundy yeast. The colour extraction from the Grenache is quite awesome, already a deep purple, will be adding some French oak to this one for sure.
                            National Wine Judge
                            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Pics

Here's a few more pics...
                              Richard consuming fermentables and Martina showing my nephew how to crank that handle
                              PIC02532.JPG
                              Bob and Rich getting to grips with the press
                              PIC02534.JPG
                              Richard and Mark "eye eye whats goin on"
                              PIC02535.JPG
                              My boy here doing all the graft, whilst the grown up's taste wines.
                              PIC02536.JPG
                              National Wine Judge
                              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Richard and Martina acting the goat.
                                [ATTACH]1692[/ATTACH]
                                Bob exercising his Judging skills
                                [ATTACH]1693[/ATTACH]
                                And last but by no means least, Bob doing some work
                                [ATTACH]1694[/ATTACH]
                                National Wine Judge
                                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
                                X