Grapefest 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Plan is coming together now:

Magnum red kit will be here tomorrow for 2nd run from Grenache. The rest of the skins will be frozen.

Red grape concentrate arriving a couple of days time for 2nd run on Sangiovese and Ciliegiolo. Excess skins will be frozen too.

Perhaps I'll be able to concentrate of work now. Probably not though
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• The Grenache has really taken off now despite the coolish temp in the winery (shed). The colour is amazing, Bob told us what to expect colour wise but I am still knocked out by it.
      National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Mrs. G has just measred the SG of her Ciliegiolo.

Panic! Rack! Press!

At least we get to practice on a 1 gallon batch.

I CANNOT believe how quickly the fermentation has gone.
        Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Done, in record time

The good news is that we seem to have got about 5.2l from one box, without squeezing too hard on the skins. We have a 5l Tesco bottle filled right to the top, and a little 150ml bottle + airlock for topping up.

Fingers crossed that the fermentation fires up again.
          Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Good news, bad news.

Goog News - the fermentation was up and running again within the hour

Bad News - I'm getting a definite H2S pong. Apart from throwing some Tronozymol at it (and narrowly avoiding a wine volcano ) is there anything else I should be doing?
            Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
              Good news, bad news.

Goog News - the fermentation was up and running again within the hour

Bad News - I'm getting a definite H2S pong. Apart from throwing some Tronozymol at it (and narrowly avoiding a wine volcano ) is there anything else I should be doing?
              Depending on how bad you might get away with a splash raking or if you have a piece of copper pipe then you could sanitize it and give the stuff a stir with the pipe getting on H2S early is important.
              http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

• Splash racking done (as you were posting!).

Off to find a bit of copper pipe (at half past midnight )
                Pete the Instructor

Comment

• I'm back

Comedy moment: I found 2 pieces of copper pipe, one 4ft long, the other about 2 1/4 inches!

The former was lying outside, the latter was in a drawer, and nice and shiny, so off I went, stirring a gallon of red with a 2 inch pipe. It reminded my of the bit in Spinal Tap where the 11 inch model of Stonehenge is lowered from the ceiling.

Anyway, a couple of minutes of stirring and the smell had gone. Back into the fermenter - there is a faint whiff still, but I'm going to get some sleep now and see how things are in the morning.

Thanks rjb222 for your help
                  Pete the Instructor

Comment

• That is what we are here for to help each other good one
                    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

• My Sangiovese measured 1.005 last night so it got pressed. We only had one tray of it, I had planned to throw it in a bucket and leave it. Richard_S talked me out of it, so it had some enymne for colour and juice extraction, and some D47 yeast. I only got about 4 litres or so out of the grapes after pressing and racking off the gross lees. I had hoped the gross lees would settle a bit more over night, but they haven't.

The Treb is at about 1.030 ish, so a day or so before that goes in secondary. Will measure the other reds later today.

Comment

• Still having problems. The H2S smell is still there (not overpowering, but definitely there). No visible signs of fermentation from the airlock, but there is a bit of audible fizzing. SG 0.998.

Any suggestions folks?
                        Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Add some nutrient, are you sure its H2So4 and not just fermentation stink?

when you stirred it before.....did the copper pipe go shiny?
                          N.G.W.B.J.
                          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• It was already shiny.

I thought H2SO4 was sulphuric acid

H2S - I'm sure it is. Rotten eggs. It was fine in primary, but developed in a couple of hours in secondary.

The pipe was already shiny (i.e. as new). I cut a 1 foot length from the older (darker) bit this morning, boiled it, sulphited it, rinsed it and used that. I only stirred for about a minute. It hasn't gone shiny (or if it has, it's VERY subtle), but the smell diminishes greatly after use.

The strange thing is, my Sangiovese rose has started to develop a similar smell - different yeast (D47), different grape.

Yours
                            Confused of Hereford

(P.S. I should be on Yahoo Messenger & FlashChat in a mo)
                            Pete the Instructor

Comment

• don't panic Pete, it's likely to be going through many smelly stages at the moment, too much tampering could lead to problems, let it do it's thing. I came home yesterday to a ghastly smell, yeasty and eggy and co2.....fantastic!!!

Just as an overall question here, have any of you guy's added nutrient of any sort ? I haven't and ferment in all four is going well.
                              Last edited by Duffbeer; 18-09-2008, 09:58 AM.
                              Discount Home Brew Supplies
                              Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                              Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                              National Wine Judge
                              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• OK Duff. Panicking stopped!

If it is rotten I'll make you drink it next year

I've added Tronozymol (about 2tsp/gal) to everything red.
                                Pete the Instructor

Comment

Working...
                                X