No announcement yet.

Grapefest 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch, well there could be your problem... not wanting to cause panic, but.... that's way too much, tronozymol shouldn't be added at any more than 1 tsp per gallon, don't add any more.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Actually, that may have been an over-estimate. Difficult to tell, not knowing the amount of juice in there. Probably more like 1.5.

The max. doseage on the box is 2tsp/gal.
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post

The max. doseage on the box is 2tsp/gal.
        Hmmm I must be getting confused, thought it was 1 max, jobs a good un then
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Damn.

I just wrote a long progress report, then hit the wrong button and lost the lot

I haven't got the will do write it again, so here's the short version:

1. Duff - keep on keeping me on my toes. Feel free to call me an idiot (or even a pikey) as the situation demands it

2. Either H2S smell has greatly diminshed, or I have got used to it. I'd like to think the former

3. Approx. 27l racked from the Grenache (5 boxes). I could probably have got more if I'd been more violent with the skins, but I want to keep something for the second run.

4. Speaking of which, half the skins are sitting waiting for the arrival of the RGC / Magnum kit.

5. Sangiovese to do next

6. I should have started work at 8!!!!!
          Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Hey Pete, sounds like your having fun. Grapes 'n' stuff all over the place, making work a low priority and having panic attacks is all part of the learning process. Roll on Grapefest 2009.
            National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• I'm not coming!

I've had enough. I'm off to machine-gun a bus queue.

Only joking.

Or am I?

Well, it's been a busy day:

Racked the Grenache as described.

Racked the Sangiovese. Got approx. 15l from 5 boxes, but I took 4.5l for my rosé, so that's 20l. Not bad.

Grenache 2nd run: 4 x small Solvino RGC, plus water and sugar to 3-ish gallons, SG 1.080. Added 2/3 of the Grenache skins. It's already formed a cap and I can feel the heat coming off it.

(just remembered - forgot to add oak)

Sangiovese 2nd run: Magnum red kit, just the concentrate, 3.5kg sugar, 23 litres, SG 1.078 - 1.080. Added 2/3 of the skins. Now sitting in the garage.

(no oak yet either).

All the other skins bagged up and in the freezer.

Started 8am, finished 6pm (leaving Mrs. Goldseal to clean up the carnage ).

I now have to clean myself up, sort my paperwork out for tomorrow, and drive 180 miles to an airfield in Essex.

My only concerns now are that the Grenache hasn't fired up yet - the airlocks are still and there are zero bubbles (yes, I've checked for air leaks). Still, early days yet - I won't be able to do anything about it tomorrow, so with any luck it will sort itself out. Oh, and the Cileguilo (or whatever) isn't up and running either

No photos, sorry. I'll try to remember to take some over the weekend.

Thank you, and goodnight
              Last edited by goldseal; 18-09-2008, 06:33 PM.
              Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Impressive sounding day there Goldseal.. What you up to at an airfield?

I goy my Ciliegiolo pressed thjs morning, about 25 litres from 5 trays, a carboy full, then half a demijon . the demijon has the gross lees in it and is settling overnight to top up the carboy.

Then made up a cheap 5 gallon youngs chardonnay, and added the Ciliegioloskins for about 4 hours to turn it a good pinky colour. The skins are now pressed again (lightly) and it's all looking good.

Checked on last years Sangiovese, which was murky looking last time I found it, it now looks quite clear, although not to dark. Will filter and bottle that soon.

Finally got tidied up and everything away, just to do it again on Saturday...

Comment

• I'm teaching Lotus drivers how to go around corners without spinning
                  Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                    I'm teaching Lotus drivers how to go around corners without spinning

SCary stuff (when they get it wrong..) That'll keep your mind off the wine for a while!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rich View Post
                      SCary stuff (when they get it wrong..) That'll keep your mind off the wine for a while!
                      Or stick the carbouys in the back, they will get plenty of de-gassing.

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
                        Or stick the carbouys in the back, they will get plenty of de-gassing.
                        Boy what a ride LOL
                        http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

• Good idea, that.

Greetings from Essex, by the way
                          Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Have any of you researched how to make a proper 2nd run wine ?

Maybe you are just making up your own methods of using the skins/pulp for another wine and calling it 2nd run ?

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• Grenache pressed and in secondary, filled the 25l carbouy plus a few other smaller vessels, got around 29 litres.

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
                              Have any of you researched how to make a proper 2nd run wine ?

Maybe you are just making up your own methods of using the skins/pulp for another wine and calling it 2nd run ?

Last year with the Monte, I halved the batch size and added sugar to about 1.080 for the second run.

This year (in about 10 mins) some of the skins are going into a mid range (Beaverdale) Rioja kit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hippie View Post
                                Have any of you researched how to make a proper 2nd run wine ?

No, I've just blindly followed Bob's advice..

Really, yes, I've had a look on the internet, mainly second run wines seem to be sugar and water on the skins (either none pressed or just lightly)

What I have found though is reference to making a second run white wine actually on the white skins. Which seems interesting, and something to save the white skins for next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X