Grapefest 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
    On a completely unrelated note, how is the Sangiovese progressing? Another one I made this year.
    Funny how we all decided to do some of the same varietals in '08.
    The colour extraction from the Grenache is real intense and has been from crushing, the Sangiovese too has great colour but not a scratch on the Grenche. Both were cold soaked for 2 days, but did have the addition of rohament p which Rich brought.
    The Grenach smell just great, whereas the Sangiovese has it's usual earthy aroma, I also did a pre ferment 60/40 Greanach / Sangiovese blend which will be interesting to see the results.
    All have completed ferment and just merrily resting.
    I did however take a tip from you from last year, well both Bob and I did, we left the Trebbiano to rest 48 hrs and racked off the gunky deposit before pitching the yeast, which seems to leave it with a much cleaner aroma, last year we had a few problems with dramatic changes in flavour and constantly dropping a haze, hope fully better this year.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
      I did however take a tip from you from last year, well both Bob and I did, we left the Trebbiano to rest 48 hrs and racked off the gunky deposit before pitching the yeast, which seems to leave it with a much cleaner aroma, last year we had a few problems with dramatic changes in flavour and constantly dropping a haze, hope fully better this year.
      It does seem to help. I'm making a rosé (saignée leftovers really) using the same technique. It's settling in the fridge. I'll probably get that one started tomorrow.

The Grenache does smell quite good. I did some research and apparently the reason our color is lighter over here is because it's mostly grown in the California desert and the sun actually bleaches color out of the skins. Grenache from cooler regions doesn't have the color problem.

It still smells exactly like red Grenache though.
      Steve

Comment

• Sitrep:

My Grenache MOAS (Mother Of All Starters) was running flat-out yesterday - threw some stuck Grenache in 4pm yesterday, and it is still going well. I'm waiting for the airlock activity to peak before adding another batch.

Fingers crossed etc..
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• WARNING: Grapefest may seriously damage your Dining Room's health

Attached Files
          Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Looks normal to me.
            National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• YUP!

looks good to me too
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• I gotta disagree chaps...

theres too much wasted space to the right in the picture.
                He could get a few more DJ's in there.
                I wish I was a glow worm
                Cos a glow worm's never glum
                It's hard to be unhappy
                When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

• Originally posted by Zebedee View Post
                  I gotta disagree chaps...

theres too much wasted space to the right in the picture.
                  He could get a few more DJ's in there.
                  Fear not, there will soon be a bucket containing a 5 gallon Beaverdale Shiraz kit in that gap.
                  Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Does this mean the study is cleared out now? Or is that looking good too?

Comment

• No, 1 gallon each of Rhubarb, Strawberry, Cilewhatsit and Grenache in there. Oh, and another couple of Grenache starters
                      Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Oh dear

you have it bad dude!
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• I can just imagine it - an episode of Panorama. There's the silhouette of emaciated chap, smoking a rollup, being interviewed.

'I used to do the odd six-bottle kit. Everyone has tried at some time, right? It was only a weekend thing'.

'Then I found you could get the same buzz from supermarket fruit juice. It was so cheap I bought more and more'.

'The next thing I know, this guy in the High Street gave me a 30 bottle kit. Suddenly the 6 bottle kits didn't do it for me, so before I realised what was happening I'd spent all my savings on 5 gallon carboys and kilo bags of metabisulphite'.

'It really got out of hand when the grapes arrived. "It's easy", they said .... '
                          Pete the Instructor

Comment

• But it IS easy

once you have completed starters 101

keep the faith dude and keep your chins up
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Good job toppin em up !!!

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• I'm particularly looking forward to taking sixteen SG readings.

By the way, the restart was healthy at 1 gallon, but not at 2gals. One 1gal DJ has stalled, the other is limping slowly.

I think I'm going to leave it as-is now. I think that, if I keep messing with it, I run an increasing risk of oxidising it, or making vinegar
                                Pete the Instructor

Comment

Working...
                                X