Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
    Any thoughts out there on oaking a Merlot
    Unless it came out lighter bodied for some reason, I would definitely oak it.

But not too heavy. 40-50 gms might be a good starting point for 5 gallons. At least that's what I would use for cubes. With chips, you might go a bit lighter.
    Steve

Comment

• Cheers Steve, so more likely to benefit from a medium rather than heavy toasted oak, so I would guess at about 25 grams for two weeks then taste, leave longer if needed, more could be added later if not oaky enough.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Sounds like a good plan.
        Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Darren View Post
          will try post some pics.
          Please m8 - and 2 think I sold a small Boots fruit press (which would have been ideal this sort of thing) on Ebay for 30 old quid a few months ago - saw the same press on Ebay this evening and it went for £62.00 Press On Ebay

Comment

• Thanks guys for the advice.

The Merlot is still fermenting away nicely in it's Beta bottle & DJ respectively, but the Ciliwotsit is being a lot slower and looks like it's starting to clear too, which is interesting.

I'll add the Oak after the ferments are over then, and keep tasting it (oh dear, what a chore )
            HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

• Seven and a half hours later, and 14 boxes-worth of Ciliegiolo is racked. The total is around 15 gallons at the moment, but this will obviously drop when further racking takes place.

A gallon's worth of skins have gone into the Black cherry kit, along with a tsp of Tronozymol. Two hours later the cap had already formed

Most of the rest has gone into a Cantina Montepulciano kit (thanks Karl) and a 500ml bottle of Ritchies RGC (so I could get the kit volume up to 23l), split over two fermenters because of the sheer volume of skins. I have just remembered I forgot to add nutrient, but hopefully the kit juice will have plenty of nutrient on board.

The remainder (a box or two) of skins has been binned, mainly because I was losing the will to live , and I was getting funny looks from the surrounding houses, hosing out buckets in the middle of the night

I have tried to keep the 'free run' juice in a separate carboy - it'll be interesting to see if there is a qualitative difference once fermentation is done.

I haven't oaked either yet - waiting until fermentation is done so I can have a taste.

The longest part of the whole job was cleaning the press bag and my mesh bag. Any tips on this? Once I'd removed the seemingly infinite number of grape bits I Oxy-cleaned both, and the press bag went green

Karl, do you sell spares (Boots press)?

Anyway, time for a few hours sleep before I start all over again with the Merlot.

EDIT: oh, forgot to post the photos of the kitchen, which looked like a war zone. The bits of my fingers which haven't disintegrated are deep purple
              Last edited by goldseal; 19-09-2009, 01:05 AM.
              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                EDIT: The bits of my fingers which haven't disintegrated are deep purple
                Any tips on how to clean the purple stains off hands, fingernails & fingers?

My hands & nails look like I've been digging in dirt and not cleaned them off!
                HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post

Sulphite? not good for cracked or cut hands though!!

Pete, Have you tried using your press without a bag in it? Don't use one in mine with grapes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post

Soaking your hands in lemon juice may help Lushie
                    Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• Originally posted by spritzer View Post
                      Soaking your hands in lemon juice may help Lushie
                      Ouch, that's a bit cruel Carole
                      Discount Home Brew Supplies
                      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                        Ouch, that's a bit cruel Carole

Dont know what you mean Karl

Lemon juice should work
                        Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• SG on the Ciliegiolo is 1.016 PH 3.2
                          and on the Mer;ot 1.014 PH 3.5

looking good for pressing either Tomorrow AM or monday AM

whoo hoo
                          N.G.W.B.J.
                          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• thats a pain with no press, but got nearly 5 gallon from each 5 box lot. could have got more but was lazy and decided it would make 2nd run better, have one with grape,rasp,elderberry and rosehip (tropicana) and another tropicana juice for the other half. The other 5 box batch got some pressed apple and grape juice see how that works
                            http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
                            http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

• All tne Merlot is racked, and 2nd runs are on the go.

Odd - all the racked Ciliegiolo, which was fermenting furiously last night, appears to have stalled
                              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                                All tne Merlot is racked, and 2nd runs are on the go.

Odd - all the racked Ciliegiolo, which was fermenting furiously last night, appears to have stalled
                                What is the Cili's SG at the mo? mine appears to be doing nothing, and has started settling, off outside to check the sg in a mo.

Comment

Working...
                                X