No announcement yet.

2011 Ferments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys. Happy with approximate. I'm no scientist and getting the TA of the Sangiovese was a real QUACK!QUACK!QUACK!QUACK!er
    Simon
    "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

anyone else finding the quantity is greater this year. have 2 1/2 boxes in 5 gal bucket and its pushing lid up. also in 65 ltr fermenters 6 boxes ment i have had to remove some.
      http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
      http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

I got 7 boxes to a 60 litre bucket, I drew off 7 litres ish of juice for a Rosé but it's still up to the lid this morning. Luckily not over the lid.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
          I got 7 boxes to a 60 litre bucket, I drew off 7 litres ish of juice for a Rosé but it's still up to the lid this morning. Luckily not over the lid.
          I'm in the same boat......i had 7 boxes per each big fermenter too, however, no run-over as yet, seems to be up to the lid but no more!
          "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Originally posted by kampervan View Post
            anyone else finding the quantity is greater this year. have 2 1/2 boxes in 5 gal bucket and its pushing lid up. also in 65 ltr fermenters 6 boxes ment i have had to remove some.
            I have 3 boxes in a 33ltr bucket and it is about 2 inches from overflow.
            Discount Home Brew Supplies
            Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
            Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I had 16 boxes of Merlot which are now squeezed into 5 of those 5 gallon wide neck ( not nearly wide enough though ! ) fermenters. There is not even room for one wafer thin grape.

Comment

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
                When calculating acid increases/reductions do you consider the total weight of the must including grape skins etc or the likely amount of pressed wine afterwards.
                I would like to reduce the TA on the Sangiovese by 3 g/l and I bought 6 boxes of grapes. Any ideas?
                Hi Simon

Can I ask how and when you are planning on reducing the acid in the Sangiovese as I am going to need to do the same.

Cheers
                Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                  Just a thought - are we likely to crash the car here because we are studying the stitching of the seats and not watching the road?

Are you guys over thinking this ?
                  Acid additions(if necessary) can be done later!

What acid & PH are you aiming for ?
                  Brian

I know what you are saying but as a newbie I don't know if it is normal for TA and sugar levels to vary in grapes from the same batch or am I making errors in my testing.

I believe it is the latter as I can get SG figures that agree with others posted here by using my refractometer which makes me think it is the bits in the samples causing false hydrometer numbers.

Bob demonstrated to me on Saturday night that acid balance can fundamentally change a wine and I would like to get it right.

Day two and all three musts are fermenting well

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by robwrx View Post
                    Hi Simon

Can I ask how and when you are planning on reducing the acid in the Sangiovese as I am going to need to do the same.

Cheers
                    Rob
                    Hi Rob,
                    My TA for the Sangiovese was 8.25 g/l and I intend to take it down to 6 g/l.
                    I made up a sugar solution to 1.080 - more or less the original gravity. This required 206grams sugar per litre.
                    I have calculated based on the posts yesterday that I have approximately 30 litres of volume (once press is complete).
                    Therefore I will add 11 litres of this solution to the Sangiovese bucket.
                    (8.25/6) * 30 = 41.25 (new amount of must).
                    41.25 - 30 = 11.25 litres.

I have erred on the low side due to the big margins for error in all this and will test acid again afterwards but if it gets further towards 5 g/l thats OK. I have read that Sangiovese can be a little high in acid in any case and you can get away with that.

This will mean that about 25% of my pressed must will be not from grape juice. As Bob mentioned this will require a good long time on the skins however to extract all the colour/flavour compounds and a little more pectolitic enzyme so I will add some too.

I am not overly bothered with the fact that I am diluting that original juice as I am finding the must a little 'earthy' in both smell and taste. I have added additional oak chips as per recommendation from Steve (NorthernWiner).

Once mixed I will need to remove some must into a second bucket as it won't all fit. From memory you will need to do the same as your must was quite high in the bucket.

Hope this helps.
                    Simon
                    "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Simon

Thanks for posting the explanation above. I will rely on the figures from others to work on my ferments as I have no confidence with my ability to test so your input is much appreciated.

Regards
                      Rob

Comment

Originally posted by robwrx View Post
                        Bob demonstrated to me on Saturday night that acid balance can fundamentally change a wine and I would like to get it right.

Day two and all three musts are fermenting well

Rob
                        Correct, however don't worry, if in doubt try the duffbeer method...

If acid too high- leave outside over winter and let it fall out naturaly as tartaric crystals.

If too low add a little anytime (not likely as brix were low so under ripe = acid).

Not to the book, but works for me, I threw my acid testing stuff away many years ago, I let my taste buds do the testing.

I now shall await my burning at the stake..
                        Discount Home Brew Supplies
                        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                        National Wine Judge
                        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                          Not to the book, but works for me, I threw my acid testing stuff away many years ago, I let my taste buds do the testing.

I now shall await my burning at the stake..
                          Works for me, too. I rarely check acid anymore. I do regularly check the pH, though.

So we'll probably both be burned as heretics.
                          Steve

Comment

Did someone say there is burning to be done?

Bob - you are going to need a considerably bigger fire lighter.
                            Simon

Comment

I think for us newbs it can be good to eliminate the inconcistencies so getting a grip on the acid levels from the start can help eliminate a variable.

Although with the varying values that I've seen going around here who knows who is right and who is wrong.
                              Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                              Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                              -Police Squad

Comment

Originally posted by koomber View Post
                                Although with the varying values that I've seen going around here who knows who is right and who is wrong.
                                And therein lies the rub. I've seen too many newbies rely on numbers that may or may not be accurate. I usually tell people to follow the numbers, but always back it up with a reality check on your palate.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X