No announcement yet.

2011 Ferments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's more or less what I am using - two tubular heaters attached to a temperature controller, in between two fermenters, with foam rubber on the top and all covered in a plastic sheet or two.

High tech
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
      The cap traps a lot of heat. More punchdown should equal less heat...
      ..and breathout 29c.

I think hourly checks are required!
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Merlot down to SG 1.020

Sangiovese is SG 1.025

Had trouble keeping temperature up and have only managed between 20c and 25c. My heater blew the electrics and I've hade to rely on swapping a couple of brewbelts between fermenters (hurry up Karl with my order)

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
          Steve,

Hey hey - just a thought - have we got our wires crossed?
          I am planning to put toasted oak in the primary fermenter. I have settled on 1kg in 350 litres (must).
          Perhaps we do. When I was talking about oak for the Primitivo/Zin, I meant after ferm. But hey, I like oak, so I'd maybe do both during and after.

If you look up a bit later - you should be able to see the stove billowing smoke from there!
          That would explain the black cloud drifting past my house.
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
            Perhaps we do. When I was talking about oak for the Primitivo/Zin, I meant after ferm. But hey, I like oak, so I'd maybe do both during and after.
            I have 1 kg in 300 litres, so it will be very light (or thats the plan) I am trying to keep away from that "drinking floorboards" feeling.
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by robwrx View Post
              (hurry up Karl with my order)
              On it's way mate
              Discount Home Brew Supplies
              Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
              Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
              National Wine Judge
              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                On it's way mate
                Yay! That's good news thanks.

Cheers

Comment

Week again primitiveo now 33c
                  Air con on.

Comment

The cap on the Sangiovese and the Merlot looks a bit half-hearted - pressing tomorrow
                    Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                      The cap on the Sangiovese and the Merlot looks a bit half-hearted - pressing tomorrow
                      Ahh but do the skins look like a translucent piece of old johnny?

That will mean absolutely nothing if you didn't see Brians presentation.

Comment

• lol
                        N.G.W.B.J.
                        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• I missed that presentation - maybe that was a good thing
                          Pete the Instructor

Comment

• AArg. Primitivo 34c. This must doesn't seem to vent its gases as well.
                            These were small berrys which produced a dense must.

Ice bags added to get it down to 29c (which would normally be enough). I have to say say it is lucky I still had them - these were testers for shipping frozen crushed grapes. Recycled then back into the freezer

Comment

• Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                              AArg. Primitivo 34c.
                              Yikes!
                              Steve

Comment

• Yikes indeed. I am off outside in a minute to see whats accuring now.

Comment

Working...
                                X