X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should have seen it before!

oh wait.....you did
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Anyone else planning to stay in the Wentvale?
      Simon
      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
        Anyone else planning to stay in the Wentvale?
        Not got anything booked yet. Why ?
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I normally stay there, cheaper, nice atmosphere, local place etc but quite a few folk at the Premier Inn. Taxi sharing back and fort etc.
          Simon
          "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
            I normally stay there, cheaper, nice atmosphere, local place etc but quite a few folk at the Premier Inn. Taxi sharing back and fort etc.
            I'm staying at the Premier Inn (Pontefract North) - i believe Rob is too. However, one contingent who normally stay there (the Aberdeen Crew) aren't at GF this year......................
            "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

HELP!!!

Wasn't sure where to post this question as didn't want to clog the orders thread up... Can anyone help me pick grapes and quantities? I want my end result to be 5 gallons of as big a fat red as I can get with about a years ageing? Sorry, don't really drink commercial stuff so I don't know anything about grape varieties...!!!

Comment

A general rule of thumb is that 1 box will give about 1 gallon of finished wine. Last year though 12 boxes yielded 15 gallons.

Make sure you have sufficient fermenting bin capacity for that (I had 2 60 litre ones apporx half each).

For the sort of red you are looking for I would probably go with Shiraz (first) with Merlot or Tempranillo (second) given that Merlot season is possibly passed.
                Simon

Comment

Could buy a bottle of each to see what you like. Tempranillo is dominant Rioja grape but with heavy oaking it might take more than a year to come into itself. Shiraz will have a slightly spicy character and merlot will be more plummy, jammy type flavours. Lovely oaked and the lightest of the 3 but most likely to be ready in 1 year.

In general the above is true. Once you settle on a variety or blend then there are lots of folk who will help advise on what is acheiveable and best way to process. It might be different when we actually get the grapes too.
                  Simon

Comment

2010 Monte was drinkable within a year. In fact, if you ask Brian, he'd probably FINISHED all his reds within the year
                    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

LoL
                      Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Delmonteman View Post
                        HELP!!!

Wasn't sure where to post this question as didn't want to clog the orders thread up... Can anyone help me pick grapes and quantities? I want my end result to be 5 gallons of as big a fat red as I can get with about a years ageing? Sorry, don't really drink commercial stuff so I don't know anything about grape varieties...!!!
                        difficult really Daniel

I reckon reds are generally best after three years of ageing, (only kits are at their best after a year, but even then age brings all manner of bonuses) but the tempranillo from last year is certainly drinkable now, i would likely go for the shiraz as it will likely be fruitier and thus drinkable earlier, but will also benefit from age.

The montepulciano produces big stuff but really very very tannic and needs a lot of age

you want to pop over and try some sometime?

I have merlot from 2009 2010 and 2011

tempranillo from 2010 and 2011

no shiraz tho

no matter what grapes you buy you will have fun making wine from them. You will also get a 2nd run from the grapes (wine for free) and it will certainly be drinkable earlier.

regards
                        bob
                        Last edited by lockwood1956; 04-09-2012, 07:12 PM.
                        N.G.W.B.J.
                        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Cheers bob, shiraz it is! Oh I'm getting excited now! (Currently rubbing my hands together in excitement!!!)

Comment

Next question, regarding second run and fermenting bin capacity...

I've got two 5 gallon fermenters for the main 5 gallon batch which when the grapes are removed can all be transferred to one bin? Thus freeing up a bin for the second run?

Comment

Well, you really need bucket-type fermenters for the initial stages and a carboy-type (glass carboy or 23l PET) once you rack off the skins.

You'll need both buckets initially - 3 boxes per 33l bucket generally. You'll be fermenting a mush of juice, skins, pips and a few stalks for a few days, before drawing off the juice.
                              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Oh yes.

Merlot/Gillio/Monte 6-8 on skins. 30c 32 max. K1v. Shallow/wide fermenter. No oak. no MLF. press @ 210. Spanking.

Put glass under press spout

Taps will make the wine take longer to age as well !!
                                Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 05-09-2012, 09:31 AM.
                                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                                X