No announcement yet.

Grapefest 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK thanks Bob and Pete. Tempranillo and Syrah it is then.
    Simon
    "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Not together.

Obviously ....
      Simon
      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

When i say I will oak heavily....thats not by Mr sharps standards, he uses 136 litre fermenters for his 5 gal batches so he can fit all the oak in
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

oooooo

and whilst on the subject

Who is attending friday night curry?

I need to book a table
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            ....he uses 136 litre fermenters for his 5 gal batches so he can fit all the oak in

Who is attending friday night curry?
            Me, of course
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

I will start a separate thread I think
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

So, based on the posts above, should I change my order from Garnacha then? I plumped for them as the WN1 Rose 'Goldseal Syle' that i made from last years 2nd run grapes i feel is very drinkable (will bring a couple bottles up with me for expert analysis & comment!!).

Oh wise yoda's please advise

Oh, and sorry in advance to Brian - i might be changing my order shortly (Hope this is ok *Gulp*)

D
                "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Nothing wrong with Grenache.....

just doesnt fit with what I am after this year, i think its a good blending grape, but as a standalone it hasn't performed as well as other grapes (the Tempranillo is a better grape on its own I think)

hope that helps
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Nothing wrong with Grenache.....

just doesnt fit with what I am after this year, i think its a good blending grape, but as a standalone it hasn't performed as well as other grapes (the Tempranillo is a better grape on its own I think)

hope that helps
                    It does indeed - thanks Bob! Think i might plump for Tempranillo then.......
                    "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

If I could source some Mouverdre I might have considered it, but the Grenache/Garnacha hasn't been brilliant for use in any great quantities, i did an 80/20 tempranillo grenache blend and it was ok, but not as good as the 100% tempranillo so im not having any grenache this year either. (I am however taking tempranillo that/I think I might oak heavily and age for a long time)

regards
                      bob
                      Agreed (sort of)
                      IMO tempranillo is nice at 100%. Grenache lighter grape similar in many ways to Sangiovese.
                      Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 10-09-2012, 10:12 AM.
                      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

OK, I have done my homework and stopped trying to jump in feet first. I have read the virgins guide and the one about stretching the grapes out to second runs... So a couple of questions about the second runs...

I'll have the remains of 5 boxes of grapes to go at for second runs and would like to have a go with the cherry port and the WN1 rose but don't understand about grape quantities for each of those. What sort of grape quantities does each require? I'd like to do 1 gallon port and the rest WN1 and am just trying to plan fermenting capacity... Thanks in advance!!!

Comment

You'll find that the volume of 'spent' skins will vary from grape variety to grape variety. However, I'd probably split it down the middle - ish.

I use a 10 litre bucket for my Black Cherry Port. Make the must up to 1 gallon, then add handfuls of skins until the bucket is full to within a couple of inches of the top. Chuck the rest in a straining bag and place in 5 gals of WN1.

There isn't a lot of science involved in this approach, but it seems to work .
                          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

You could freeze a little bit of grape must before you start, use that and the skins for the cherry port and the WN1 rose. Just gives them a bit of a lift.
                            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thanks guys. That information is very much appreciated!

Comment

Three days to go!!!
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X