Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My next batch is gonna be made with............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
    Great to supply photo FB. Looks dark like buckwheat honey. Was it real thick?
    Yes, about the thickest "runny honey" I'd seen. Almost, but not quite, granular i.e. the layer of honey that's left in a jar with "normal" processed honey is maybe, 2 or 3 mm thick (as in immediately the jar is turned back upright), whereas this stuff was maybe 5 or 6 mm thick when I turned the jar upright. It did have a strong, very pronounced honey flavour and aroma (ha! I suppose it would do wouldn't it ).
    Could the people you purchased it from tell you what species of heather flowers (nectar) that the bees were feeding on? I have some laboratory tests and results from the ling honey that we could use as you go along with the project (sorry an old copy so can not send to you).
    Unfortunately not. They didn't have that detailed information i.e. no info about where exactly it came from either, but I'll ask again next time I go up there for stocks as he said he'd try to remember to ask.
    Do you have a photo of the heather honey fermenting? sure would like to see that one.
    Edit - No luck I'm afraid, as soon as I switched the flash on, the camera died only giving me a very murky dark blob! So I'll put it (the camera) on charge and post it later on.

regards

JtFB
    Last edited by fatbloke; 12-04-2008, 05:24 PM.
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Edit - No luck I'm afraid, as soon as I switched the flash on, the camera died only giving me a very murky dark blob! So I'll put it (the camera) on charge and post it later on

Looking forward to see the photo. Cheers Daw

Comment

Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
        Looking forward to see the photo. Cheers Daw
        Ok DAW,

here it is.

You'll notice the approx 1 inch air space (with the scummy looking debris on the inside of the top of the DJ).

That's because it was foaming a fair bit, and when I put the SG tested sample back in yesterday it still foamed right up to the base of the stopper - so I'm thinking I'll have to leave it a bit longer.

It does look like it's going OK though, given the high SG and the problems with the pH before pitching the yeast, I'm quite pleased with yesterdays readings of 1045 and 3.95 pH.

It looks so much lighter than the original honey, but I suspect that's because the yeast is still well and truely in suspension.

The pH test sample (I normally put an SG sample back in, but with the pH sample, it being so much smaller, I normally throw - this time, down my throat), showed me, that apart from the "yeastiness" of it, that it (at the moment) has a very strong, robust honey flavour (not sure if that's down to the yeast, or the high initial SG/honey content, or the type of honey used, or even having to use 4 tsp of acid in the must). If it tastes anything like the sample, I'll be well pleased (damn I could have drunk the whole lot there and then - yeast and all ).

regards

JtFB
        Attached Files
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

FB - it looks great. Once you get the SG to around the 1.030 mark add approx 1/2 the regular dose of the nutrient that you used (this will likely foam slightly). Then when SG reaches 1.020 rack to a clean sterilized DJ leaving the lees behind. Then let it complete its fermentation with air lock and well topped up until it is at 1.000 or below. Cheers man you got a good one going there. Daw.

Comment

Working...
          X