Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by happymondays View Post
    John,

Just out of curiosity how long did you leave it for I have just done one of these or it still is fermenting. After all the replies to this post I thought it was worth a go, but was sceptical about using bread yeast but I followed the recipe to the letter.

Did you use one clove or two or more?

p.s. whats TVM?

Regards Scott....
    Oh, I think it was either 3 to the gallon or possibly 4 (just to be on the safe side - but I think it was 3). No I didn't use bread yeast, 71B rings a bell, but just how loud - it was definitely wine yeast though.
    Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
    I am not sure how many John used but my suggestion is 2 or maximum 3 per gallon -- this stuff is strong be careful with it. Also if cloves are ground you are looking at approximately 2.5 grams per Imperial gallon; again be careful with this. SEE the mead tutorial; I am working on a table with all the spices and the amounts that can be used along with amount of fruits to be used for different types of Mead's-- it is locked right now but you can still view what is prepared so far. Cheers DAW
    Yup! spot on there DAW. I used the maximum amount suggested (If I remember correctly). That might have had something to do with why I thought I'd screwed it up i.e. too much clove, what with having read that it's often ready to drink straight away and all that.
    Originally posted by happymondays View Post
    Cheers Daw,

I only put one in but was going to add another, its been going for 4 days and its at 1.092, (SG 1.100) had a quick taste but just a hint of either cinnamon or clove but as its still a bit high cant tell.

Will have a look at the Spice post,

Regards Scott......
    It'll take a good few weeks Scott, the ferment finished (I think) in about a fortnight to 3 weeks, but it took a couple of months for the fruit to drop to the bottom of the fermenter - but by then it had cleared nicely as well.

I think it was in bulk ageing for about 5 to 6 months. Damn! will I ever get the hang of this "ageing lark" ?

Gonna give it another go though, just next time, I'll use my hydrometer, only use a max of 2 cloves per gallon (and maybe some star anise). Whether I'll get something that can be drunk straight away will have to wait to be seen.

Though if not, I'm not that worried as I know that the end result is damned fine.

regards

John
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
      Oh, I think it was either 3 to the gallon or possibly 4 (just to be on the safe side - but I think it was 3).

It'll take a good few weeks Scott, the ferment finished (I think) in about a fortnight to 3 weeks, but it took a couple of months for the fruit to drop to the bottom of the fermenter - but by then it had cleared nicely as well.

I think it was in bulk ageing for about 5 to 6 months. Damn! will I ever get the hang of this "ageing lark" ?

Though if not, I'm not that worried as I know that the end result is damned fine.

regards

John
      Cheers John,

might just chuck another one in then, I know what you mean with the ageing I am sitting on my hands most of the time
      A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.

Comment

• Hi I started 2 gallons of this on the 24th Feb.
        It's starting to clear, but there's a lot of sediment in the bottom.

Do you think I should rack it?

Comment

• Lemons and Limes

Just tasted me lemon and lime version of this mead, give it a go you won't be disappionted i can't tell you how much i and friends enjoyed it. A great recipe all round and i will be tasting the orange as recipe reads very soon.

Fermenting shows no mercy to the beginner

Comment

• Hey Axl welcome back dude, not seen you for a while

regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hey Bob nice to be back, hows things going round ere, strongly recommend the lemon and lime mead its awsome better than i thought for an experiment. Hello everybody this is by far the best home made wine i ever made and tasted.

Comment

• One would think that lemon and lime could be a touch acidic

how does it taste?
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Give it a rest Bob, i challenge you to give it a go, i'm no expert you know that but i'm well aquainted with wine and will try anything once, if anyone is disappointed i'll be personally held victim to my crime.

Comment

• Originally posted by Axl View Post
                    Give it a rest Bob, i challenge you to give it a go
                    I might just do that

if anyone is disappointed i'll be personally held victim to my crime.
                    Fair enough
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hiya, Axl, good to have you back.

I remember you starting that mead off. Glad to hear it turned out so well
                      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Originally posted by Axl View Post
                        Just tasted me lemon and lime version of this mead, give it a go you won't be disappionted i can't tell you how much i and friends enjoyed it. A great recipe all round and i will be tasting the orange as recipe reads very soon.
                        Hi Axl yep I will vote on this one just got back off holiday and it tastes just as good as the original, after John (FB) posted a variation I quite liked the idea of the Lemon and Lime.
                        I only used half a lemon and lime though how much did you use?
                        You can just taste the lime but I think maybe a full one might be better, still got to be one of the easiest and earliest Meads I have tried so far seems to just work very well,

Regards Scott......
                        A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.

Comment

Hi Axl yep I will vote on this one just got back off holiday and it tastes just as good as the original, after John (FB) posted a variation I quite liked the idea of the Lemon and Lime.
                          You can just taste the lime but I think maybe a full one might be better, still got to be one of the easiest and earliest Meads I have tried so far seems to just work very well,

Regards Scott......
                          Well I haven't actually got round to making a lemon & lime version yet, just seperate lemon and lime batches - they're still bubbling a little - but either this week or next I'll be doing a combined lemon/lime one.

Ha! I wonder how many kumquats I'm need to add to try them

regards

JtFB
                          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• proper mixing method

Is this mead heated or boiled while setting up the must? This is going to be my first attempt and I have read enough to be compleatly confused. I have seen this recipie on various sites and other recipies as well quite a few of these sites say to heat a mead must and skim off the foam others say boil a mead and a couple say you loose too much heating or boiling and say not to any recomendations?
                            http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

• As I've always boiled mine I have nothing to compare with. However I was under the impression that boiling sterilised the honey so was the best thing to do.

But who knows?
                              Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Regards Scott......
                                Hey happy,

No not half, whole lemon and lime together and tastes simply divine.

For comparison will taste the Orange version soon, need time to bottle though.

Just hope Bob can pluck up the courage to give it a go.

Comment

Working...
                                X