Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ttalsma View Post
    Cool. Thanks.

Not sure yet. I could do either, but if the recipe calls for bread yeast....

I do have some liquid mead yeast. I'm not sure off the top of my head what the brand is, but it was supposed to be for a sweet mead!
    I keep hearing about "mead yeast", but when I was asking at the local HBS, "he" said that Gervin used to make the "FF" type yeast but they stopped that a while ago and now recommend something different (they have a list/check sheet about which of their products suit with brews).

So can you tell me the make/model/engine capacity etc etc as I'd like to try a "proper" mead yeast if I can get hold of any ??????

regards

fatbloke.
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
      I keep hearing about "mead yeast", but when I was asking at the local HBS, "he" said that Gervin used to make the "FF" type yeast but they stopped that a while ago and now recommend something different (they have a list/check sheet about which of their products suit with brews).

So can you tell me the make/model/engine capacity etc etc as I'd like to try a "proper" mead yeast if I can get hold of any ??????

regards

fatbloke.

This place retails International. I have purchased my sweet mead yeast from them and had good service. This is only a site that supplies International for home brewing supplies since you are trying to locate and not able to find at your home base-- I do not know about their prices and how they compare with others. DAW

Comment

• Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
        http://homebrewheaven.com/vHome.htm

This place retails International. I have purchased my sweet mead yeast from them and had good service. This is only a site that supplies International for home brewing supplies since you are trying to locate and not able to find at your home base-- I do not know about their prices and how they compare with others. DAW
        What do you use for your sweet mead ? As I dug through the homebrew heaven site and the closest I could work out was one of the redstar yeasts - No sign of any "proper" mead yeasts as far as I could see.

regards

fatbloke
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Erm, it's my understanding (from reading the thread), that if the fruit has dropped, then it's "ready".

What is the definition of "ready"?

Ready for bottling/aging or ready for drinking (normally) ?

regards

fatbloke

p.s. sorry if that's a bit of a limp question - I'd like to have something I've made to actually drink, or be ready to bottle or just rack to DJ for bulk ageing.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Ready... hmmm.. Your mead has cleared (no haze), the fruit has dropped. I suppose you could take a S.G. too. If the S.G is low enough she is done.

JC

Comment

What do you use for your sweet mead ? As I dug through the homebrew heaven site and the closest I could work out was one of the redstar yeasts - No sign of any "proper" mead yeasts as far as I could see.

regards

fatbloke
              I have used this for the past two years with no problem. This year I Ordered three packages for my batches this year and I have not had much luck with them - very slow to get into the bubbling phase - the first thing that you notice that there is some fermentation action is the fruits packs floating to the top of the must? I must say that this year when the yeast was shipped the ice pack that was supposed to keep things cool was completely melted and it was all warm inside- this may have effected the virility of the yeast?? Darn Customs. Anyway I would advise these yeasts if you are not able to have a liquid supplier just down the street - difficult to ship cold through customs etc etc: here goes --Lalvin - ICV/D-47. Lalvin 71B-1122, Lalvin KIV-1116 and Red Star Premier Cuvee (Davis #796). Cheers DAW

XL Pack, sufficient for 10 Gallons. For sweet meads, ciders, cysers, fruit wines, ginger ale, cherry raspberry and peach.. Great honey flavor. Leaves 2-3% residual sugar in most meads.

Comment

Erm, it's my understanding (from reading the thread), that if the fruit has dropped, then it's "ready".

What is the definition of "ready"?

Ready for bottling/aging or ready for drinking (normally) ?

regards

fatbloke

p.s. sorry if that's a bit of a limp question - I'd like to have something I've made to actually drink, or be ready to bottle or just rack to DJ for bulk ageing.

FB - the XL pack is the Wyeast Mead Yeast # 4184. To Get to it in the HBH web page- click one the link in previous post, click on new web page, scroll down to Mead Section - click and there it is. Cheers DAW

Comment

• FB - JCN - I have not use the fruit drop method to say if is ready - I use the Hydrometer and the SG reading - I like to start my Mead's at 1.100 - 1.090 (the lowest). I have found that within seven days at a fermentation temperature of approx 70 degrees F that the SG reading is between 1.020-1.030 and it is then racked into a clean/sterilized glass carboy with s-tube air lock. It will bubble away there for another 14-21 days to get to the 1.000 or below or 1.020 for sweet mead yeast. Then it is racked to a cleaned and sterilized primary fermenter where it is degassed, fined, minor campden tabs 1-2 tabs syphoned back into the cleaned carboy and into the cool room for approx 3 weeks until clear then racked again and into the cool room for bulk ageing---sometimes there is another racking after 2 months. I like to bulk age for 6 months and then bottled. I like to make 23 liter batches of each. The darn honey is expensive - approx 3$ a pound around here - but the results are much appreciated by all. Little tannins in Mead - not as hard of the headaches? Cheers DAW

Comment

• A quick update on my "ancient orange" attempt!

So, I'd made the batch, the ferment appeared to have finished.

I waited until the fruit had dropped.

I eventually got the courage to rack into 1 gallon DJ's.

On the way to the DJ's I had to try a little taste.

Now I was initially disappointed (well, very actually). I'd stuck to the recipe closely and my initial taste was just cloves, cloves, cloves. I recall thinking "bleeaaarrrrrggggggghhhhhhh that's bl**dy horrible".

But, I was already into the habit of bulk ageing and I just stoppered the DJ and slung them under the stairs.

I've been digging through my batches that're ageing today. I thought I must give it a taste before I decide what to do with it.

It was almost like drinking the inside of one of those orange flavoured liqueur chocolates from the christmas tree.

It was rich, well bodied, with a strong but pleasant orange flavour. The original over powering clove flavour had mellowed into the distance - it was there but just a hint. I was stunned.

I just can't get it into my head how meads change with ageing, absolutely incredible.

Oh and I decided what I'm gonna do with it. Drink the bu**er

And yes, I think I'll make another batch, which should (theoretically) be ready for next christmas.

TVM

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• JtTFB -- Great that you have enjoyed your mead. Many more to come. Cheers Daw

Comment

So, I'd made the batch, the ferment appeared to have finished.

I waited until the fruit had dropped.

I eventually got the courage to rack into 1 gallon DJ's.

It was rich, well bodied, with a strong but pleasant orange flavour. The original over powering clove flavour had mellowed into the distance - it was there but just a hint. I was stunned.

And yes, I think I'll make another batch, which should (theoretically) be ready for next christmas.

TVM

regards

JtFB

John,

Just out of curiosity how long did you leave it for I have just done one of these or it still is fermenting. After all the replies to this post I thought it was worth a go, but was sceptical about using bread yeast but I followed the recipe to the letter.

Did you use one clove or two or more?

p.s. whats TVM?

Regards Scott....
                        A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.

Comment

• TVM - Thankyou Very Much.

Mead looks good, it's now on my todo list....

Rich

Comment

• Originally posted by Rich View Post
                            TVM - Thankyou Very Much.

Mead looks good, it's now on my todo list....

Rich
                            TVM Rich

Comment

• Originally posted by happymondays View Post
                              John,

Just out of curiosity how long did you leave it for I have just done one of these or it still is fermenting. After all the replies to this post I thought it was worth a go, but was sceptical about using bread yeast but I followed the recipe to the letter.

I am not sure how many John used but my suggestion is 2 or maximum 3 per gallon -- this stuff is strong be careful with it. Also if cloves are ground you are looking at approximately 2.5 grams per Imperial gallon; again be careful with this. SEE the mead tutorial; I am working on a table with all the spices and the amounts that can be used along with amount of fruits to be used for different types of Mead's-- it is locked right now but you can still view what is prepared so far. Cheers DAW
                              Last edited by lockwood1956; 26-02-2008, 08:33 PM. Reason: made quote work

Comment

• Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
                                I am not sure how many John used but my suggestion is 2 or maximum 3 per gallon -- this stuff is strong be careful with it. Also if cloves are ground you are looking at approximately 2.5 grams per Imperial gallon; again be careful with this. SEE the mead tutorial; I am working on a table with all the spices and the amounts that can be used along with amount of fruits to be used for different types of Mead's-- it is locked right now but you can still view what is prepared so far. Cheers DAW
                                Cheers Daw,

I only put one in but was going to add another, its been going for 4 days and its at 1.092, (SG 1.100) had a quick taste but just a hint of either cinnamon or clove but as its still a bit high cant tell.

Will have a look at the Spice post,

Regards Scott......

Comment

Working...
                                X