• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry

It is a 1 gallon mix made withb 2lts of Tesco red grape juice

Comment

• Originally posted by Mustwatch View Post

In the fermenter, each 20 minutes it will develop a foamy head, which clears for no apparent reason, only to repeat itself.

Any thoughts
      Yes.........it's fermenting

All perfectly normal.
      Last edited by wurzel; 19-06-2010, 12:22 AM.
      Alcohol causes you to forget things, and some other stuff I don't remember!

Comment

• Hi, Paul
        "Can you make wine with orange marmalade? I know you can with jam."
        You could also buy the tins of prepared oranges for making marmalade. There is a brand in some supermarkets called 'Ma-made' and Lakeland do one of their own.

Comment

• Originally posted by elleks View Post
          Hi, Paul
          "Can you make wine with orange marmalade? I know you can with jam."
          You could also buy the tins of prepared oranges for making marmalade. There is a brand in some supermarkets called 'Ma-made' and Lakeland do one of their own.
          Likewise, as the JAO mead recipe, I'd guess that the use of the whole orange chopped up, is to utilise a little of the bitterness to counteract the sweetness that the recipe would leave you with.......

If the marmalade is cheap enough, you can always re-liquify it with warm water in a bucket, strain out the pulp/rind with a sieve and then add plenty of pectolase. That way, most of the bitterness flavour of the pith is removed as well as the pectolase sorting out the pectin before you actually fermented it.

Then I'd guess something like Wurzels orange wine recipe would do the trick.........

regards

jtfb
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Hello

Right now I'm making 5 gallons of "easy white" using 5 litres of grape juice & 5 litres of apple juice, it comes out between 12.5% & once 14.9% (not to be repeated), hope to learn more

Comment

• Originally posted by wurzel View Post
              Yes.........it's fermenting

All perfectly normal.
              So, YOU are wurzel, I've read so much about you

Comment

• Originally posted by Noddy View Post
                well, crimewatch dont always get it right
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                  Likewise, as the JAO mead recipe, I'd guess that the use of the whole orange chopped up, is to utilise a little of the bitterness to counteract the sweetness that the recipe would leave you with.......

If the marmalade is cheap enough, you can always re-liquify it with warm water in a bucket, strain out the pulp/rind with a sieve and then add plenty of pectolase. That way, most of the bitterness flavour of the pith is removed as well as the pectolase sorting out the pectin before you actually fermented it.

Then I'd guess something like Wurzels orange wine recipe would do the trick.........

regards

jtfb

As posted above, I've made wine from home made marmalade (so I know exactly what was in it).

There was no problem from pith bitterness in my finished wine, and I would also suggest that as the fruit was boiled during the marmalade making process, that any bitterness in the oranges would have been well and truly distributed thoughout the marmalade and would be incapble of being removed by simply extracting the solids from marmalade.
                  My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Noddy View Post
                    You can't belive all you read

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                    well, crimewatch dont always get it right
                    Thanks Bob LOL
                    Alcohol causes you to forget things, and some other stuff I don't remember!

Comment

• Hello. I'm new to the forum but not to making wine. I made a fair amount of beer and a few country wines when I was a student, about 20 years ago, and only this year dusted down my home brew skills and started making wine again, beginning with elderflower champagne & light apple wines made from supermarket juice.

I like the thinking behind the beginner's wines and the advice to start with light wines etc. - seems a good site so I've joined. I look forward to finding some great (and quick) recipes & will contribute a few experimental idea of my own (if they work).

cheers

Comment

• Welcome to the forum!

There is a ton of info on here regarding the wine styles that you mention. If you get stuck, just ask, there are lots of people on here that will only be too happy to help.
                        National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Welcome aboard
                          N.G.W.B.J.
                          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hello All!

I have done loads of homebrewing in the past and am recently taking up the reigns again. I am going to get experimental with tins of fruit cocktail (hopefully after a bit of starter advice from you guys) and looking forward to reporting back!

My main hobby is all-grain beer brewing...

Comment

• Welcome to the board Delmonteman! Nice to see an AG brewer onboard. You couldn't find a finer forum for wine making advice and good banter and the number of brewers on here is growing steadily. (I'm putting the finishing touches on my AG build)
                              Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                              Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                              -Police Squad

Comment

• Greetings

Greeting one and all, i'm actually called Geoff, I started wine making way back in 94 but gave up do to peer pressure (wife) but have now started up again after I found a 10 year old bottle of my gooseberry wine, wow that was a good vintage. I found your site while hunting for wine label templates, still haven't found any yet. Love the site so much information and so little time to read it all, I look forward to joining in at the wine circle sometime. However I shall carry on brewing and reading. Regards to all.
                                It's nice to be important but more important to be nice!!

Comment

Working...
                                X