Introduce Yourselves here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome Top_Conker,

I'm always in need of help, looking forward to your valued experience.

Fermenting shows no mercy to the beginner

Comment

• Hello TC

hope you enjoy the forum

cj

Comment

• Hi there TC! We are very glad to get someone on here who actually knows something about wine!!!
        REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• greetings

Comment

• Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy your time here.

regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Thanks Guys

Thanks Guys,
              Look forward to chatting.
              Who knows, might even start brewing again, watch out you brewers at the National and The Wales & West, I might return!!!!!!!!!!!!
              TC

Comment

• Hi folks.

Just joined the board as I have been reading the thread on turbo cider and got interested.

I live in Pembrokeshire, South West Wales. I was recently diagnosed with ME and am now looking for hobbies which require little hard slog.

I have had my first go at making elderflower champagne this year and was so fascinated at watching it bubble and enjoying the flavour that I decided to get more into winemaking. After all, why should I pay Tesco's a small fortune!!

Have got 5 demijohns from Freecycle (picking them up today or tomorrow) and wondered what was the best thing to try first? Have been tempted to start with a wine kit as it seems the easiest way to go. I know it will be a steep learning curve but the OH and kids are keen to have a go.

Any tips for me please? Please bear in mind, I don't have a clue what 'fermenting out' and 'racking off' mean so be kind and simple in any instructions.

Thanks
                www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

• Good Morning Shirlthegirl43

Welcome to the forum,

I'm not an expert and have only been brewing for about a year myself. As for what to try first, the Turbo Cider cannot be easier, a quick and easy starter and enjoyed by all.

Ferment out - Ferment the wine to dryness, ie ferment all the sugar to alcohol

Racking off - Transfer your wine to another clean demijohn, usually done when the wine has fermented out.

Comment

• Thanks for that Axl.

Intend trying the turbo cider - sounds nice for a hot afternoon!

Further questions now -

How do you know when the sugar has fermented out?

How long does that take with the turbo cider?

Gee I am impatient!! Now I have the demijohns I want to be drinking the stuff already - LOL

Is it okay to sterilise demijohns with Milton fluid?

Sorry to be a pest, Shirley
                    www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by shirlthegirl43
                      Thanks for that Axl.

How do you know when the sugar has fermented out?

How long does that take with the turbo cider?

Is it okay to sterilise demijohns with Milton fluid?

Sorry to be a pest, Shirley

1, Its well worth buying a hydrometer, take an SG reading at the outset of your ferment, as the ferment gets closer to completion you will find the SG will have reduced to somewhere close to 1000.

2, The ones i have done, have taken between 5-14 days, it depends on how much sugar there is in the apple juice, the temperature and a few other factors say if you decide to add sugar

3, So far as i know yes it is, i'm pretty certain David has used it before.

Hope this helps a little.

Some of the other guys here may be able to explain things a little more clearly than me, i found buying a homewine making book very usefull, CJJ Berry's first steps in wine making can be very informative.

Comment

• Thanks Axl.

Just got home with my demijohns. Passed Wilkinsons on the way back from picking them up and decided I would buy a Young's kit to make wine in 7 days - they have an offer on where you buy the starter kit with everything in it and get a 'refill' for free. Decided a dozen bottles of wine for £20 was a good idea!! So now prepared for my first adventure.

The kit has a hydrometer in it so that saved me buying one. It also has other useful stuff like a syphon tube and bits and bobs.

There are oak chips in the chardonnay kit - can I leave these out since I prefer an unoaked wine?

Getting excited now (sad aren't I) - so is OH - he has been sent to Tesco on his way home from work to buy 5 litres of Tesco Value Apple juice!!!

Cheers everyone!!
                        www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by shirlthegirl43
                          Hi folks.

Any tips for me please? Please bear in mind, I don't have a clue what 'fermenting out' and 'racking off' mean so be kind and simple in any instructions.

Thanks
                          Hey there Shirl, welcome aboard, have fun with the turbo cider just watch the hangovers!!!

remember the only daft question is the one not asked. we all like to help newbies along, some of us are little more than newbies ourselves. but there is a great deal of expertise among the members here, no matter what your (wine related) question is, someone will have an answer.

have fun
                          regards
                          Bob
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• oops nearly forgot

look here for great info and downloadable gooodies

http://www.winesathome.net/forum/showthread.php?t=243

regards
                            Bob
                            Last edited by lockwood1956; 25-07-2006, 05:07 PM.
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Cheers!!!
                              www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

• OOPS! Hello from Lansing, MI USA!!!

OOps! Didn't see this section this AM when I registered/posted. Hello all I'm new here and new to wine making although I have been brewing beer for about 6-8 months now. Happy to be here! Hopefully your experience will guide me to some more fine wines!

Comment

Working...
                                X