X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Winemaker

Hello Everybody

My name is Mark, I'm 38
    I live in Wath-Upon-Dearne, South Yokshire. I,m new to wine making so I'm very glad to find a great site like this.
    started making wine at end of febuary. Got Hold of some books and have been attempting some recipe's out of them.
    I hope you don't mind me asking questions as some of the books are a bit thin on info.
    I love all kinds of wine, but my favorite's are full bodied reds. I can't wait for autumn for wild berries to be ready.
    Is it acceptable to put wine in screw top bottles and then cork them?
    At the moment I have got parsnip, Banana, Sweet orange and 5 gal of rhubarb on the go.

Comment

• You can get new caps for the screwtops. The tops are probably too weak for corking. Safety hazard.

Welcome to the forum.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• Hi Mark
        Welcome to the forum, there are a few of us who live quite close to you, Knottingley, Normanton and Rotherham, Pontefract wine circle meets on 1st Monday of the month if you fancy a look (this Monday) it's good fun and you will learn from experienced winemakers.
        I personally wouldn't use corks in screw top bottles, as Hippie says, the tops aren't strong enough. I have lots of bottles if you would like a couple of dozen pop over and pick em up

regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hiya, Mark, you're very welcome.
          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            Hi Mark
            Welcome to the forum, there are a few of us who live quite close to you, Knottingley, Normanton and Rotherham, Pontefract wine circle meets on 1st Monday of the month if you fancy a look (this Monday) it's good fun and you will learn from experienced winemakers.
            I personally wouldn't use corks in screw top bottles, as Hippie says, the tops aren't strong enough. I have lots of bottles if you would like a couple of dozen pop over and pick em up

regards
            Bob
            Hi Bob, Thanks for the welcome. Most of the bottles I've been saving are screw tops, guess I'll now take them to bottle bank. The Offer of some bottles would be very appreciated.

Comment

• OK, i'm in. Found a 3 month old bottle of Barolo (last one ) and may bring a bottle of the latest Turbo Cider if it's ready!
              National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• No probs at all, give me a shout if you want to come and get em, or if you like I will bring them to Pontefract wine circle on Monday, if you want to come and meet the gang there.
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Yay!

Why don't you share a cab with Karl (duffbeer)

Karl and I will be there, not sure about David and Sue, they are in Rotherham, and at the moment have no internet access, and it will depend on the flood situation, but they are hoping to be there.

Heeby and Silverfox go too sometimes, not sure about this Monday.

look forward to seeing you there, Karl and I are normally in the bar from about 7.30
                  Last edited by lockwood1956; 28-06-2007, 06:05 PM.
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

No probs at all, give me a shout if you want to come and get em, or if you like I will bring them to Pontefract wine circle on Monday, if you want to come and meet the gang there.
                    Unfortunately I can't come to the wine circle this time, I'm visiting Kent.
                    When I get back I'll give you a shout then, to come and pick em up
                    Thanks
                    Will try to come to Pontefract wine circle in August.

Thanks again Mark

Comment

• Hi Mark and welcome, just a point on the screw top bottles, if you still have the original caps then covering the top of the bottle including the thread with clingfilm before screwing the cap on will work. Although not sure how long they will store like that (six months so far I know to be ok) correct bottles with corks is the best way to go but this might help short term.
                      Discount Home Brew Supplies
                      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Hello from Alabama, USA

I live in a rural area of west central Alabama. I started making wine in 1983 when I got of the U. S. Navy. Now I've got 3 different types of wines fermenting. 1 is Niagra grape, apple and peach, another is canned strawberries and Concord grpe juice, and the other is a combination of blackberries, elderflowers, magnolia blossoms and red grape juice.
                        Most of the wines that I've ever made were dry-very dry, my preference. The best wine that I ever concocted was a sparkling golden rod wine.
                        I've never tried it but I'm about to start some mango wine. If Mother Nature will be kind this fall I want to make a few gallons of muscadine wine. Years ago I put out 25 muscadine and scuppernong vines.

Comment

• Welcome, Tim!

I have a few bottles of muscadine and scuppernong put away.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• Hello Tim, enjoy your stay
                            Let's party

Comment

• Where else?
                              Let's party

Comment

Yay!

Why don't you share a cab with Karl (duffbeer)

Karl and I will be there, not sure about David and Sue, they are in Rotherham, and at the moment have no internet access, and it will depend on the flood situation, but they are hoping to be there.

Heeby and Silverfox go too sometimes, not sure about this Monday.

look forward to seeing you there, Karl and I are normally in the bar from about 7.30
                                Actually thats usually just after 7
                                Discount Home Brew Supplies
                                Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                                Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                                National Wine Judge
                                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
                                X