Introduce Yourselves here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi

welcome to the forum, the juice with no preservatives?....check the label, if it has no pottasium sorbate then you are likely ok, look for supermarket own brands (not from concentrate) they are normally good.

Read the tutorials, and follow the new winemaker series, it will help you develop your winemaking skills, over a series of yummy wines, and ask questions, we like questions.

regards
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hello this is an excellent place to come and increase your knowledge of an excellent hobby. Welcome
      http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

• Welcome, Minx, hope you enjoy your stay and your new hobby. Don't worry about asking questions, as Bob says, we like questions
        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Welcome, Minx !!!

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• New and clueless

Hi Guys and Gals,

Well this winemaking thing was a spur of the moment decision on Saturday, I suggested it to my wife who thought what a great idea, who proceded to the phone book, found the local Homebrew shop and off we went.

We purchased a Beaverdale Shriaz kit (makes 6 bottles), 2 plastics containers, a syphon tube, thermometer, hydrometer and some sterilising powder. Thought we best start small to make sure we like it!!

The wine is now fermenting away and as I am a sad kind of person who loves statistics I am recording the time between blub-blub and blub-blub, on a daily basis.

A lady at work has already promised me a load of blackcurrants from her bush....can I say that...so it looks like I am going to have to purchase larger equipment......my wife said something about equipment and size

Anyway the forum looks great and I will no doubt be asking loads of questions - like what the heck is racking? Did that not get outlawed..... although bringing it back maybe an idea.........I digress, sorry.

Well will no doubt be posting when the wine has finished fermenting.......when is that? Oh! so much to learn.........note to pea sized brain buy winemaking book.........which one?

Just too many questions.

Bye for now

Oz

Comment

• Hi Oz, welcome to the forum. You made a good choice for your first kit, the Beaverdale stuff is great value for money.

Racking in winemaking means syphoning your wine from one container to another leaving the sediment behind.

Don't worry too much about buying a book as everything you need to know is somewhere on the forum, if it isn't just ask.
              National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Welcome aboard Aussie, bloop watching is a side effect to the hobby no point in trying to resist it, watch and count
                Discount Home Brew Supplies
                Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                National Wine Judge
                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Welcome Aussie67.

We need all the enthusiastic newbies we can recruit here !!!

We love it !!!

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

• Hi Oz, you and your sense of humour are very welcome.

And don't worry, you can never ask too many questions.

Enjoy your kit and get prepared to make wine from the blackcurrants off that lady's bush!
                    Let's party

Comment

• Welcome Oz

check out the tutorials in the resources section, and ask questions, many experienced winemakers here to help

regards
                      Bob
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hi Oz nice to meet you online anyway questions are what this place is all about. ( I like racking myself)

Comment

• Evening all,

Having dabbled with a wine kit a few years back (actually, more like 20 years), I have been meaning to try again. Never really got around to it ....

The other week, we got a huge number of empty wine bottles together, ready for a trip to the bottle bank. After mentally estimating the cost of all that wine I decided NOW was the time to try, so I did.

The idea was to produce something drinkable at a cost well below supermarket prices (i.e. just 30 bottle kits). The first batch is stabilising at the moment - very alcoholic, and it tastes like it might even be drinkable.

However, the more I read (mainly in this Forum), the more interested I got - I now have some more equipment on order, and I intend to work through some of the beginner's wine recipes just as soon as it arrives.

So, brace yourselves for lots of stupid questions in the coming weeks and months
                          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Have no fear there is someone here that is up to the task goldseal You are embarking on a hobby that is as rewarding as it is interesting. I wish you many happy brews.

Comment

• Welcome goldseal...

there are no stupid questions !!!

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

• Hello and welcome goldseal, we look forward to hearing all about your progress through the recipes on the forum.
                                Let's party

Comment

Working...
                                X