Goldenrod going

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goldenrod going

I managed to scrounge up enough goldenrod blooms today to make 1 gallon, hopefully in a couple of days there will be enough more blooms opened up for a full 5 gallon batch. If you've never tried it that is a challenge picking and stripping those tiny little things with an arm in a cast. Here's what I wound up with:
    1 heaping pint of goldenrod blooms, flowers stripped off the stems
    2 bright red rose blooms
    12 oz. yellow raisins, chopped
    1 pt white grape juice
    2 lbs. sugar
    1-1/2 tsp. acid belnd
    1 tsp. yeast nutrient
    Montrachet yeast.
    I first boiled 1 pt. water and poured it over the blooms, then about 8 hours later, I added the sugar to this and then boiled 4 pts water and the grape juice and poured into this. Allowed to cool and added acid, nutrient and then the yeast. I'll let it all ferment for 6 days then strain out the blooms and put into the secondary. I've been off work on vacation for a week then the past couple days with this broke arm so I guess tomorrow I'll go back and do nothing but sit there. Maybe the 2 winemaking catalogs that arrived today will go with me.

Originally posted by BamaTim View Post
    I managed to scrounge up enough goldenrod blooms today to make 1 gallon, hopefully in a couple of days there will be enough more blooms opened up for a full 5 gallon batch. If you've never tried it that is a challenge picking and stripping those tiny little things with an arm in a cast. Here's what I wound up with:
    1 heaping pint of goldenrod blooms, flowers stripped off the stems
    2 bright red rose blooms
    12 oz. yellow raisins, chopped
    1 pt white grape juice
    2 lbs. sugar
    1-1/2 tsp. acid belnd
    1 tsp. yeast nutrient
    Montrachet yeast.
    I first boiled 1 pt. water and poured it over the blooms, then about 8 hours later, I added the sugar to this and then boiled 4 pts water and the grape juice and poured into this. Allowed to cool and added acid, nutrient and then the yeast. I'll let it all ferment for 6 days then strain out the blooms and put into the secondary. I've been off work on vacation for a week then the past couple days with this broke arm so I guess tomorrow I'll go back and do nothing but sit there. Maybe the 2 winemaking catalogs that arrived today will go with me.

BT have you ever tried this with Honey? I guess that is makes an interesting Mead? Cheers DAW

Comment

No, haven't tried the honey but with as many as are full bloom now who knows.

Comment

Working...
      X