Rose petals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rose petals

As I'm sure some of you have more experience in this field than I do I would like some advice please: if the rose petals are added after fermentation has ended how much rose aroma would just them sitting there in the alcohol extract versus putting them in toward the end of the fermentation? I have two rose bushes that are loaded with blooms once again, 1 has pink blooms and a very rosey aroma and the other has very dark red bloom with slightly less aroma. I have a gallon of canned peach/canned tropical fruit mix/prune & raisin wine that smelled very fruity so I've added the petals form one of each of the 2 types of roses this morning. As the wine is nearing the end of the secondary ferment I added a couple of tablespoons of sugar syrup at the original gravity that I started with, which is 1090. I have some blackberry wine that is aging so this goes to my question above: if I add some rose petals to this to improve the aroma will I get good results with the ferment being finished already? I love the smell of roses and with that many blooms hanging on the bushes it just seems a pity to waste them and the rose hips that I've noticed. Any thoughts on a rose hip/rose petal wine by anyone?

rose hip wine is very good; rose-petal wine, in my opinion, not so good.
    Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
    Twitter: VirtualWineO
    Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

BT - This would surely add the rose aroma to the batch much more than if used only during primary fermentation. Especially the the rose petals with the most fragrance. I have not tried this but I have experienced this through the addition of various other flavour additives like vanila- cinomen - mint and other spices. Give it a try and see how it works. The Primary fermentation process seems to be hard on flavour retention? Cheers DAW

Comment

Sounds reasonable to me Daw, that's about what I thought that the primary might blow the aroma right out thru the airlock. What would be the better way to preserve some for future use, dry them or vacum seal and freeze them?

Comment

Originally posted by BamaTim View Post
          Sounds reasonable to me Daw, that's about what I thought that the primary might blow the aroma right out thru the airlock. What would be the better way to preserve some for future use, dry them or vacum seal and freeze them?
          BT - have not experimented with this - but based on other fruits - drying concentrates the flavours and I would think vacuum and freezing would also do the trick. I would think if they are dried a vacuum seal would also be advisable?

Ya - it happens quite a bit in the primary fermentation process - probably more with some yeast strains than others? I have a number of times lost a particular flavour from a fruit wine and have had to enhance with a concentrated flavour to try and get what I was looking for. Cheers DAW

Comment

Working...
          X