Can you freeze flowers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you freeze flowers?

My tree has now started to flower which is earlier than last year, i am sure it will be ready to collect from in a few weeks. I work away from home a lot and missed the flowers last year so i wondered if flowers can be frozen before use, as i am not around for the next 1-2 months again. My wife will pick them for me and freeze them, will it work?

I also have lots of lavender so plan on a elderflower and lavender wine as an experiment because i have blended the two wines and liked the taste so thought I'd do it from scratch.

Any thoughts appreciated
    Landy

Yes they will freeze fine.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Elderflowers

Just as a matter of interest, I see that it's possible to freeze the flowers and presumably the berries, but how easy is it to dry the flowers / berries instead?
      I'm not sure how much freezer space I can get away with allocating to winemaking stuff and I doubt my partner would be too impressed if I got another freezer specifically for my wild fruit (we've already got 2 freezers in the garage!) especially as he can never find a clean towel owing to them having been relocated from the airing cupboard for some reason... and he's starting to wonder if I might relocate him soon to get more space for fermenting wine...
      Also I want to freeze a load of sloes again this year as I am rather partial to sloe gin and sloe wine.

Her Lushness
      HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Was going to start a thread this week about elder flowers but as this one is in here and slightly liked will jump on the wagon.

Can you get flowers and berries off the same bush in one season or does taking the flowers stop the berries.

Do you just pull the white part of the flower off at the road side of take more and clean it back at home.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Biggles View Post
          Was going to start a thread this week about elder flowers but as this one is in here and slightly liked will jump on the wagon.

Can you get flowers and berries off the same bush in one season or does taking the flowers stop the berries.

Do you just pull the white part of the flower off at the road side of take more and clean it back at home.
          Ooooh, I'm glad you asked these ones, coz I've been wondering too!
          HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggles View Post

For every flower head you take that is one less bunch of berries. You need to make like a butterfly and flit from tree to tree otherwise you'll have nothing to pick come Autumn.

When gathering flowers just cut the whole head off and take home to clean.
            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
              For every flower head you take that is one less bunch of berries. You need to make like a butterfly and flit from tree to tree otherwise you'll have nothing to pick come Autumn.

When gathering flowers just cut the whole head off and take home to clean.
              Beautiful, thanks for the answer. That was in the past the way that i have got the berries and was hoping that would be the way.
              sigpic

Comment

After speaking with Luc Volders at Brouwland last week, and discovering he always turns his flowers into cordial, Martina and I decided to pick some lilac flowers from her garden and turn them into syrup/cordial, it works nicely, and its something I will do more of.

will maybe do a tutorial when I get home (I leave Germany today sniff sniff)

Maybe Martina (Danina) will do a tutorial on it instead.

it is my understanding (could be wrong) that if you just gently shake the petals from the elder into a brown paper bag once they have fully bloomed, then berries will still be produced, much the same as they would be when the flower petals all from the tree, but if you take them too early then it wont set fruit

regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Quick reply, as my loving boyfriend is still here.... (How geeky are WE? Both on different computers on WinesAtHome answering the same post)

But...

I'm going to take a guess and you mean lilac instead of lavender. In fact, Bob and I picked lilac and made a cordial out of them.

You can freeze lilac as well, but be aware, they will turn brown, but still make a delicious wine. If you have purple lilacs, use red grape concentrate for the wine, if you have white, I would probably keep using white grape concentrate.

All flowers freeze okay, some better than others (lilac is an example that might not freeze the way you'd like them to). Chrysanthemums, daylilies, marigolds, and hibiscus all freeze well and retain their color. Lilacs and roses tend to look more drab or even brown. The taste remains the same for all, however.

This year will be my first with elderberries, so I will certainly be posting some pics when I do so - so you more experienced winemakers can slap me on the wrists with my technique. I've gotten some quite shocked looks from Bob these past 10 days for my winemaking skills.

M.
                  Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                  Twitter: VirtualWineO
                  Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Originally posted by Danina View Post
                    I've gotten some quite shocked looks from Bob these past 10 days for my winemaking skills.

M.
                    Well at least there were no parsnips fermenting!!!
                    Last edited by lockwood1956; 19-05-2008, 05:47 PM.
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Yet!

Unless, of course, they're hidden away while you're there.
                      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Oh no....

I had him taste all my wines (finished and unfinished) and well... only he can tell you something about it. He was too positive to me (for some that are really shite), but him being a wine judge, I hope he'll post his "real comments" once sober.

Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                        Twitter: VirtualWineO
                        Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Originally posted by Danina View Post
                          I had him taste all my wines (finished and unfinished) and well... only he can tell you something about it. He was too positive to me (for some that are really shite), but him being a wine judge, I hope he'll post his "real comments" once sober.

there were no bad wines among them, and some (especially the dandelion and the Yorkshire wine) show great potential

(i've still not sobered up tho...another mammoth drinkypoo at Karls last night....struggling today)
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                          X