• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by benarnold View Post
    And, of course, it's a whole lot cheaper
    oh yes, an important detail!

Originally posted by benarnold View Post
    I agree though, I like the foraging aspect as well, and the growing one. I made a rather tasty raspberry wine last year that took about three weeks worth of lunch times to collect the wild berries. It's one of the best wines I've made. Not that that's saying much really, but I'm pleased.
    my best ever wine was also made last year, blackberries from the bottom of our garden. this year i have been busily pruning and training it on the shed roof and there are masses of easy to reach flowers and some very green berries already too. Hopefully the fruit will be as good as last year and i'll be able to make much more than last year's single gallon.
    To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
    A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Back on the hawthorn blossom wine now. Racked, , degassed, stabilised and a mouthful sized sample taken....

so its a lovely weakish tea colour, dry as a bone and clear. Gelatin finings and time eventually came good, chitin finings were much faster (days to clear rather than months). The bad news is that it doesn't really taste of anything at all unless you can say very hot is a taste. OG was an ill advised 1100, FG was 990, abv about 15%.

So what are the options for this?
      1. Forget about it for ages?
      2. Drain cleaner?
      3. Make vinegar?
      4. Use in fondues (which i haven't eaten for about 20 years!)?
      5. Chuck some in summery punches to frighten people?
      6. Use it for blending (as it doesn't taste bad even tho it is very hot)?
      7. Something else?
      To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
      A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

That does sound a bit alcoholic for something with a delicate taste. It might fade over time, so I'd say option 1 followed by option 6.
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
          That does sound a bit alcoholic for something with a delicate taste. It might fade over time, so I'd say option 1 followed by option 6.
          yup, i was way to sloppy with sorting out my OG. I also think we didn't get the "right" flowers as they really didn't smell up to much either. The Elderflowers we sniffed at the time were great and made nice wine (much lower OG too) and the Gorse flowers also smelled great but we never found enough to brew with.

i'll put it out of sight and try to forget about for a year. If its no good by then i may have some wine that could do with a little of this fire water for blending.

Thanks Goldseal.

Comment

Working...
          X