No announcement yet.

Elderflower champagne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wijn maken met Luc Volders. Het weblog van Luc Volders waarop hij zijn ervaringen en experimenten als amateur wijnmaker publiceert.

Luc is a great guy, and very knowledgeable, I love his experiments...my favourite is the pectin one....

(scroll to the bottom of the pages for the English version)
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Scroll down for the English version Na de paardenbloemen gaat de vlier in bloei. En een bloeiende vlier verspreid een heerlijke geur. Citroe...

this is the harvesting method entry from his blog
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2009/0...derflower.html

I did the elderflower harvesting his way this year and it does work really well. You still have to sift through the flowers to remove the stalks, but it's easier than actually pulling them off. I got through about 200 heads of flowers in no time

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
          http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2009/0...derflower.html

Okay, you convinced me! The dogs will be pleased, coz when I go harvesting for stuff they get an extra long walk
          HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

See C4 have now amended their recipe from 2KG per 6ltr to 700g!

Reading down some of the comments it seems quite a few people did what I did and followed the previous recipe to the letter.

C4 really need taken to task over that....consequences could have been horrible.

Comment

Here's the recipe I use, comes out great every time...

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

I would recommend using 2litre pop bottles rather than glass though. It doesn't ferment in the bin, just takes the elderflower flavour. The fermenting happens in the bottles and the fizz is just gorgeous. It turns out looking like cloudly lemonade and does have sediment which will always come up when the bottle is opened but it doesn't matter.
              www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Under no cumstances should anyone put this stuff into glass bottles, other than proper chapagne bottles, you are creating glass hand grenades if you do.
                I was on jims beer kit last year when they were all making it, and they were all having bottles explode and break into teeny pieces, if that happened and you were next to it, i shudder to think the damage it would cause.

The BBC and Channel4 need reaming for their publishing of these methods (I have written to both, but received no replies)

The recipe is fine...the methodology re glass bottles isnt
                Last edited by Duffbeer; 27-06-2009, 08:58 AM.
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I have picked what I reckon will be the last of the reachable flowers here. I don't have any lemons and cba going out to buy them - can I use citric acid instead? I have that and I have pure lemon juice in a bottle. Which will be the best substitute for lemon peel and how much should I use? I need rind and juice of 4 lemons
                  www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Just a warning to you all!

If you are using Champagne bottles, make sure that they are in good condition. Especially, if they are 'used'. Didn't realise that one of the ones I used for EF Champers was damaged/weakened/whatever.

Got home from work on Monday and found my 7 yo son waiting for me in the garden. He expected me to clean his bike, his swingball, desk, paints, toys, action man, starwars figures...Well, you name it and it was covered in sweet smelling, syrupy loveliness.

Apparently, the neighbours were going to call out the local Armed Response Squad. Taliban attacking Yate, they feared. Makes quite a loud bang, so I hear!

Comment

Thank God he wasn't near the bottle when it went off! I bet you OH wasn't too impressed?
                      HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

why are people using glass for this. doesnt have the greatest lifespan so why not use pet. not had one explode yet and you can see if its expanding
                        http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
                        http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

I'll assure you that I won't be doing that again. It's the first bottle explosion I've had after many beers / wines and lagers.

I used 4 glass champagne bottles (because they look nice ) and the other 12 bottles are 1lt PET.

Still, the elderflower fizzy does taste good.

Best of british, all.

Comment

wish i had my finger out to have a go at elderflower champagne. Unfortunately the flowering this year coincided with my exams to become a chartered surveyor, so spent much of my time either staring at the flowers whilst working away or only getting the chance to have a go at concentrate wines which i could buy and get round to making when i had a spare hour!
                            A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well

Comment

Working...
                            X