Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hafta know what the acronym OH is!
    REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

other half (partner)
      mark
      "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

I was afraid to say. I was thinking Old Hag. Sorry, I am sure noone else's is. Just kidding! Ouch!
        REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Hi again all,

Don't think my husband would be very happy to be referred to as either an old heifer or an old hag!!!

Back to the original purpose of this thread anyway, about to rack off the rosepetal wine as it seems to have stopped fermenting. Should I stabilise it at this racking or the next? Berry doesn't make it really clear (not to me anyway) and also, is there a 'best' stabiliser - preferably one which is foolproof - I don't fancy geranium flavoured wine!

Cheers folks,
          Shirley
          www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

If the wine is below SG 1.000, go ahead and stabilize with sulphite or campden tablets. Also use potassium sorbate per packlage directions if you are planning on sweetening it later. If the wine is not below SG 1.000, rack off the lees, top up well, airlock, keep it room temp, give it another month.
            REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Thanks Hippie

Just measured SG - just above .990. Taste is very dry with a slight 'fizz' - think it may be quite alcoholic but interesting.

Off to the brew shop to get some stabiliser now. and have a clean demijohn sterilising ready for the procedure later.

I guess I leave it in the fresh demijohn until it clears? Boy, the kit wines are easier!!! (but not so interesting). My banana wine smells lovely but looks disgusting - what colour will it end up - not sure I fancy black wine!

Cheers, Shirley
              www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Also use sorbate if you are planning to sweeten up later. Keep the demijohn topped up well and rack whenever there is enough lees or sediment to cover the bottom. It should be clear after a rack or 3. The fizz is CO2. Should stir very well after racking and before topping up to get rid of it. Will take more than one racking and stirring episode, maybe 3.
                REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Thanks for that Hippie. Have noticed it is starting to clear already. Does it matter if I stabilise it at a later stage as I haven't decided whether I want to sweeten it yet?

Cheers, Shirley
                  Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 06-10-2006, 05:42 PM. Reason: missed out a question
                  www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Keep it topped up and make sure it is done fermenting, for sure, but you need to stabilize with sulphite whether or not you plan to sweeten.
                    REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Have used a crushed campden tablet today. The pack says this is enough for one gallon so I assume it is now stabilised. I have poured it to and fro between demijohns a few times to get some of the gas out - hope this was a good idea! Will possibly repeat this action tomorrow then leave it to settle for a while and see what happens.

Cheers,
                      Shirley
                      www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Yea, that will probably do it. Did you first rack off sediment? What is the final SG? Did it foam up alot during the pouring?
                        REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Final SG around 0.900 or so - my hydrometer is not easy to read through the test jar (must buy a clear test jar when I see one). It tastes pretty alcoholic though!! It did foam quite a lot and I had racked it off the sediment a few days ago. There was not much new sediment forming and it was starting to clear up near the top of the jar.

When I rack it again (if I need to) should I top up with a bit of white wine or just plain water?

Cheers,
                          Shirley
                          www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

I think you mean .990. Very good! Sounds like you have gotten rid of alot of gas (CO2) already. The rest should come out next racking. If it seems like it has alot of body and alcohol, water will be fine to top up with if no more than a cup to the gallon. I would use marbles if more than that. If it were more volume than the gallon, I would have suggested wine for more than a cup, but I am afraid it wouldn't be so much YOUR wine anymore. Be patient and allow the wine to clear while racking every month or so only if there are alot of lees.
                            REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Working...
                            X