Wax Seals on wine bottles ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax Seals on wine bottles ?

Historically, wax was used to give a final seal to a bottle (and I don't just mean spirits bottles).

I was wondering what kind of wax might have been used as I'd hoped to dip finished bottles for a pleasant looking effect.

I have some "sealing wax" and thought about mixing it with parafin wax to give it a nice red colour.

Does anyone know what the exact material originally used was ? And where I might be able to get some ?

regards

fatbloke
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

I don't think the wine can 'breathe' through the cork if the cork is covered in wax. Pretty sure this is a no-no.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
      I don't think the wine can 'breathe' through the cork if the cork is covered in wax. Pretty sure this is a no-no.

I know that with spirits, wax capping was to prevent loss i.e. "the angels share" with evaporation of the alcohol element.

I also understood that it was to prevent oxidisation when poor quality corks were used with wine - the breathing bit, is, as I understand, connected with allowing some air to red wines (bordeaux, clarets, etc etc) when actually drinking.

Obviously the corks available today tend to be of a better quality so I'd only hoped to do this for aesthetic reasons - hell it looks so much nicer than plastic shrink caps.

Plus I need to work this out so when I actually get round to bottling my spirits I don't loose any over time (yes I intended to do the traditional glass bottle, corked and then wax sealed).

regards

fatbloke
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

What about screw caps? Wine can't breathe through them.
        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Good points.

Why not just use screwtop bottles then?

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Good points.

Why not just use screwtop bottles then?

I think.. aesthetics / tradition are his main concern.
            I wish I was a glow worm
            Cos a glow worm's never glum
            It's hard to be unhappy
            When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

Working...
            X