No announcement yet.

Gravity readings and % abv curiosity !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gravity readings and % abv curiosity !

Ok, so at the moment I'm having a go at running a batch of "wash" through my "water purifier" (a still in everything but name).

I haven't measured the % abv of the wash or the resulting distillate (yet), but out of curiosity, I dropped both my wine hydrometer and my spirits hydrometer into some of the "waste" (for info, the purifier instructions say about retaining it i.e. the waste, if you want to experiment further). Anyway, it's still hot, and I'm presuming that I'm supposed to wait until it's cool, but rather strangely, the "waste" was giving a reading of 20% abv on the spirits hydrometer and 0.980 on the wine hydrometer.

The only thing I can presume is that gravity reading is indeed affected by temperature of the liquid being measured (any chemistry grad's out there)?

It also occurred to me as to how long I might need to run the purifier, to strip all the alcohol out of the wash ? even though the "waste" is, apparently, very good to use as "screen wash" for my truck/car etc. From the smell of it, it still contains alcohol, again, presumably in great enough quantity, to be used as screen wash, and I'm also guessing that the addition of some cheap detergent of some sort, would improve it for that purpose.

I'm sure I'm running the purifier properly i.e. 4 litres at a time (though I'm gonna have another look at the instructions after I've finished posting this).

If anyone can shed any light on this, I'd be very grateful.

regards

fatbloke
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Water/liquid is thinner when it is warmer, so the hydrometr will drop further. Otherwise, I'm not qualified to comment........

Comment

See here for conversion for temperature correction

N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow View Post
        Water/liquid is thinner when it is warmer, so the hydrometr will drop further. Otherwise, I'm not qualified to comment........
        Ok, that'd make sense, hence the high readings with high temps (guessing 50 degrees C +).

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        See here for conversion for temperature correction

http://www.winesathome.co.uk/downloads/calculator.htm
        Hum? Well that looks like one hell of a calculator Bob. So much so, I don't think I'd know where to start.

Just idle curiosity on my part really, because I checked the wash cold, and it was almost exactly 14%, whereas the distillate measured 58% so I've just been adding the suggested 400ml of water to the 800ml of distillate. It'll work fine with the flavourings as far as I can see.

Ha! I've saved a couple of gallons of the "waste" though, and mixed it with a gallon of screenwash we had laying around. So that's the cars and my truck sorted for the winter.

Definitely gonna do more of this though, it's sort of addictive, I'm thinking because it's such a relatively quick process from start to finish.

All I really need now, is some more bottles to put it in when mixed and some of those corks with the plastic tops - afterall, as spirits are drunk in small quantities, I'd need to keep putting the damn thing back into the bottle!

Ho hum!

regards

fatbloke
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
        X