No announcement yet.

wine making dictionary/definitions ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wine making dictionary/definitions ???

Ok, I was wondering if there's a dictionary or list of definitions for winemaking and other homebrewing?

Because when I recently made a couple of gallons of "turbo cider", the actual result seemed to have enough cider flavour (actually the gallon I made with an added pound of honey tasted more "alcoholic") but seemed to have a texture much like water i.e. it seemed quite "thin" (like an over diluted kids orange drink).

Is that what's meant by "lacking body" ?

Similar to the phrases "dry" and "sweet". I can only really judge whether I like the flavour or not. Like for instance, my canned strawberry still tastes like an alcoholic strawberry ice cream syrup. Maybe it just needs me to "restart" fermentation with a champagne/high alcohol yeast, I don't know. I don't have anything to compare it too.

With "proper" (commercial) red wine, I don't know whether the ones I like are sweet or dry, fruity or "tanniny". I just recall the names of some of them, or the types. Then I only know if I like them by how they actually taste to me (and yes unfortunately, the ones I've enjoyed have invariably been more expensive clarets/bordeaux/etc type wines).

Hence my question about what some of these (apparently) commonly used terms mean.

regards

John the fatbloke
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

A shame you live so far away, Bob does an excellent presentation on tasting stuff.
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

I think the taste of wine is very subjective and for the most part it does boil down to what you like. True, there are certain terms which refer to some aspects, such as 'thin' or 'lacking body' (Means the same BTW) that are easy to understand, but something that is sweet to you may be too dry for me so it's difficult to quantify.
      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

flavor or flavour...

Here is a French Definitions website with English translations

For a good book see, James Walker "drink'-ol-o-gy WINE", a Guide to the Grape. Why do we study so long for a quaffable elixir that lasts but a moment?
        Last edited by lockwood1956; 20-11-2007, 09:01 PM. Reason: link fixed :)

Comment

Cheers for the link Keith

I made it work

regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by Aristaeus View Post
            Here is a French Definitions website with English translations

For a good book see, James Walker "drink'-ol-o-gy WINE", a Guide to the Grape. Why do we study so long for a quaffable elixir that lasts but a moment?
            Thanks for the link, much appreciated.

Now, with that in mind, do the terms and phrases also apply to wines that haven't been made with grapes i.e. everything else ? or are they specific to grape wine ?

regards

John the fatbloke
            Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
              A shame you live so far away, Bob does an excellent presentation on tasting stuff.
              If I was "up north" I'd have to keep it quiet, nearly all of the family connections are "t'other side of Pennines"

regards

John the fatbloke

Some blog ramblings

Comment

They work for all wines

regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                X