Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gravity measurement and hydrometer accuracy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gravity measurement and hydrometer accuracy?

I understand that when checking OG etc then the liquid/must should be at 20 degrees for the most accurate measurement.

So if your must production (mead and similar) requires heating, should I be waiting for it to cool to exactly 20 C or is it OK to take a measurement if it's above.

I'm wondering this because if you're using turbo yeasts you are often mixing the must at 30 or 40 degrees C or with mead most recipes (despite the ever present "boil or not to boil" argument) suggest heating the honey/water and then skimming (is that really necessary if the honey has been pasturised??).

So what's the best advice/what would you do ???

regards

John the fatbloke
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Use the Winesathome Hydrometer temperature correction chart

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      Use the Winesathome Hydrometer temperature correction chart

regards
      Bob
      Cheers for the tip Bob - it does seem that there's lots of stuff here that I'm missing!

Also, forgive me for being stupid, obviously I need to use the "hydrometer correction" part, but what do I actually need to put in where (apart from changing from degrees F to degrees c) ?

TVM

regards

John the fatbloke
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

In the box next to hydrometer correction you put the temperature, and it calculates How much you need to adjust your readings

N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
          In the box next to hydrometer correction you put the temperature, and it calculates How much you need to adjust your readings

Ah, so I was being thick then !

TVM for the reply Bob, I'm due to run up a mix over the weekend so I can try it them.

regards

John the fatbloke

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
          X