Thread for questions and discussion on new winemaker series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
    Then there's probably nothing to worry about if youv'e followed the instructions, it states to top to 1.130 after 24 hrs, you did this after 48 hrs so 1.130 wouldn't be reached as the sg would have been lower.
    I did the sugar addition after 24 hrs like the instructions state.
    What would too much pulp and stuff in the sample do to the hydrometer reading?? Would it make the hydrometer read higher or lower than true??
    Cad Drawings: www.draughting-solutions.com

Comment

• It would make it read higher, I should think the additions you have made should be OK, I had a reading of 1.090 with the pudding, grape juice and tinned peaches. 1lb of sugar should have increased it to roughly 1.130 and then the addition of another 1lb should be more than enough.
      I would leave it now to ferment, I'm quite sure the alcohol level will be good.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by Hippie View Post
        There is something about this wine I am not getting.

What is it?

It's a dessert wine dude

Dessert wines are often referred to as after dinner wines due to the fact that they are sweet, high in alcohol, very rich and full bodied. The following recipe derived by Vera Durkin has taken prizes and best in show at the National in previous years and is posted in the recipe section here under "Christmas Pudding
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Will these calcs been thrown off slightly because we top up the primary to 1.5 Gallons??

Comment

• Just rechecked the tutorial, and my appoligies, it should read 1kg 2lb of sugar after 24 hrs, the starting gravity was 1.090 with the pudding, grape juice and tinned fruit, then the addition of 1kg 2lb of sugar raised the sg to 1.130, but don't panic if yours didn't, it may have just fermented faster than mine.
            I shall amend the tutorial to clear this up. I am quite sure yours will be Ok as you have done it.
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Thanks Duff
              Worst case mine just wont be 18%

Comment

• Originally posted by brewbie View Post
                Thanks Duff
                Worst case mine just wont be 18%
                With the additions you've stated it will be pretty close, enjoy ! this is a beautiful wine .
                National Wine Judge
                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by brewbie View Post
                  No, sorry i didn't
                  you have to break that habit dude....unused hydrometer is the road to dodgy wine (your hydrometer is your friend!!)

regards
                  Bob
                  Last edited by Duffbeer; 17-02-2008, 12:23 PM.
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Dessert wine?

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                    Sorry, sounds more like a high alcohol wine made from pudding.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• Falls into the "dessert wine" category for UK competitions
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                        If you are about to start a new wine, then turn it upside down and let it drain, but no need to rinse...

If it is going to be cleaned and then stored afterwards, then place a little of the solution in it and put in a bung or airlock, if you follow this routine, then all that is required before use is that you drain it, and use it.
                        Bob, just a quick question, as you know i have the bottle drainer and the pressure bit for doing my bottles. I use the Sodium Met solution in the pump when i'm preparing bottles, should i be rinsing them after that or just storing them on the drainer till i fill them.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Just let them drip dry upside down, no rinse necessary, but you might want to rinse the residue off the outside of the bottles to be more presentable. Sometimes it will dry and look like something white on them.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• Thread for questions and discussion on new winemaker series ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

Hi,
                            Just made 2 batches of the Red Table Wine all went well except for one of my yeasts refused to work (Glad I re-ydrated first).
                            Just wondering about the potassium Sorbate & the sulphite, are these required & are any of them wine stableiser?
                            I'm planning to use sweetner to back sweeten.
                            Also when I've made wine kits in the past my brewshop told me to degas by shaking the DJ & releasing the gas that way, is this ok?

Thanks for any help
                            Colin
                            Last edited by Duffbeer; 18-02-2008, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by meikle View Post
                              Hi,
                              Just made 2 batches of the Red Table Wine all went well except for one of my yeasts refused to work (Glad I re-ydrated first).
                              Just wondering about the potassium Sorbate & the sulphite, are these required & are any of them wine stableiser?
                              I'm planning to use sweetner to back sweeten.
                              Also when I've made wine kits in the past my brewshop told me to degas by shaking the DJ & releasing the gas that way, is this ok?

Thanks for any help
                              Colin
                              Together sulphite & sorbate will stabilize your wine, sorbate is not necessary if your keeping your wine dry or using artificial sweetener.

Your degassing method is fine, I use the same method
                              National Wine Judge
                              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                                you have to break that habit dude....unused hydrometer is the road to dodgy wine (your hydrometer is your friend!!)

regards
                                Bob
                                To be fair all i did was follow the instructions (Which have now been ammended) and i took the SG reading before adding any sugar of my own back because it didn't tell you too

Comment

Working...
                                X