No announcement yet.

Thread for questions and discussion on new winemaker series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This thread is way too helpful to be lost on page 11, it needs stickied or something

I've just read through most of the thread and a lot of things I didn't understand were asked.. and answered

Comment

• Originally posted by Pronay View Post
      This thread is way too helpful to be lost on page 11, it needs stickied or something

I've just read through most of the thread and a lot of things I didn't understand were asked.. and answered
      Actually Pronay, you're right..
      I also found this thread very helpful when I first started
      Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• Originally posted by spritzer View Post
        Actually Pronay, you're right..
        I also found this thread very helpful when I first started
        What are you making at the moment?? If you dont mind me asking, what did you start with, then progress to? and where are you now?
        Last edited by Tuco; 20-11-2008, 08:48 AM.

Comment

What are you making at the moment?? If you dont mind me asking, what did you start with, then progress to? and where are you now?
          At the moment, I have THIS little lot on the go

I guess I did things a bit back to front when I first started
          But that was because I was too impatient...
          I started with a cranberry juice wine.... that didn't have any grape juice or concentrate in it.... and waaaaay too much sugar.
          At the last tasting.. about 4 months ago, it was still alcohol "hot".... so it has been forgotten about for now.

I then did two or three kits... before starting on Wine #1
          I have made various variations of wine #1.. all lovely.
          The rhubarb and kiwi stuff I have clearing as per the link, has been made from fruit, as has the port

Comment

• Your list looks great spritz

I'm starting 5 gallon of #1 tommorow i'm off now tho i've been up all night long

take care, go easy

Comment

Your list looks great spritz

I'm starting 5 gallon of #1 tommorow i'm off now tho i've been up all night long

take care, go easy
              Dont forget you need one more DJ in all sizes, than you have filled... for racking purposes
              Last edited by spritzer; 20-11-2008, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by spritzer View Post
                Dont forget you need one more DJ in all sizes, than you have filled... for racking purposes
                Ideally..but at a pinch,you can get by racking back to your primary then washing out the secondary and re-using.
                I wish I was a glow worm
                Cos a glow worm's never glum
                It's hard to be unhappy
                When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

• Originally posted by Zebedee View Post
                  Ideally..but at a pinch,you can get by racking back to your primary then washing out the secondary and re-using.
                  Aye
                  You can do this too.

Comment

• 5 gallon wine no.1 question

My wine no.1 has been fermenting for seven days and is down to 1.002. it seems to have stopped bubbling should I rack and add 5 campden tablets (that's all I have) or should I leave it a bit longer.

Comment

• Leave it a bit longer, keep checking the gravity every day or so. When you get the same reading three days on the trot you can assume that fermentation has ended.
                      National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Is it in a primary or a carboy? If it's in a primary, I think it's time to move it to a carboy and restrict the air contact.

Steve
                        the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
                        "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

• Its in a plastic primary with a snap lid. I have another ready with a screw top about 5" or 6" across I find this one firmer and easy to degas.

Comment

• I merged this thread with the wine no 1 question thread
                            N.G.W.B.J.
                            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Help

A friend called me earlier.

He has just started making wine.. and has a little problem, that I am not quite sure of the answer.

He has made 5 gallons of wine number one.
                              He put finings in when he last raked it.
                              He has waited quite a while now, and it still did not look clear.
                              I told him, to try and add another load of finings, to see it that would help clear the last little bit.......

This is when he discovered what the problem is.
                              When he racked it again, he discovered the O ring at the bottom of his DJ.
                              He had used vaseline around the O ring, to get a good airlock ....

He has added more finings, to see if it will clear...

Is all lost ?

As always, all comments welcome...
                              Thanks
                              Carole

Comment

• Has he de-gassed it? This will help with clearing.

Otherwise you just have to wait it out, it will clear eventually I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X