No announcement yet.

Thread for questions and discussion on new winemaker series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've just bottled my first wine number 1 recipe it didn't clear very well don't know what I did wrong as its still a bit cloudy gonna have another go at it.

Comment

• you will find it beneficial to use some finings

ritchies Kwik clear is by far the best available in the UK

regards
      bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• drinking it a tad cloudy will hurt nothing but your eyes by the way

regards
        bob
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• following on from what Bob has already said, I have some cloudy beer and I found by far the best solution is a pottery tankard.
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
            I have some cloudy beer
            Is there any other sort?

Mine is sneaky, it starts off clear then goes cloudy in the fridge, just when you thought it was looking good. I've given up trying to get it to stay clear as it still tastes gooood.

http://markblades.com
            Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
            These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

• I'm no beer expert Mark, but this "might" have something to do with mashing temperatures being reached and maintained. Is this a potential probl;em do you think, if so I think maybe proteins are the cause of the haze as you are not getting the hot break and cold break required.

(like I said I may be barking up the wrong tree, I am just at the beginning of my beer journey )

hope that helps

regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• I agree Bob. Not to hijack the thread but....

I think my persistent chill haze is protein based and caused by my relatively puny lidl boiler. I note in another thread that you are supposed to wait until the hot break has happened before adding first hops. I tend to bung them in as soon as I see a simmer. Next time I'll try and wait a bit.

cheers

mark

http://markblades.com
                Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
                These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

• Have you "tweaked " the boiler as outlined in the beer forum?(will find the link in a moment)

it will give you a better boil, I use only the lidl boiler and it works great

regards
                  bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by mcblades View Post
                    I note in another thread that you are supposed to wait until the hot break has happened before adding first hops. I tend to bung them in as soon as I see a simmer. Next time I'll try and wait a bit.
                    I tend to find this is about 15 minutes in, once the foam has died down. If you are also dealing with tight volumes this goes a long way to stopping a lot of mess, the first foam is not anywhere near as bad if the hops are added later. So less of a risk of boil over.

Also consider - are you boiling inside or outside. The lidl boiler does need installation if you are using it outside.
                    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• I cant find the picture tutorial i did on tweaking the lidl boiler thermostat!!!!

the search facility on vbulletin is rubbish!
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Re-did it

Gently remove the knob, using a flat blade, go easy as they are not too strong. Once the knob is off you will see around the spindle a collar with two notches in it. Using long nosed pliers turn the collar anti clockwoise 1/8th of a turn (45 degrees) anti clockwise. this will ensure you can reach and maintain a rolling boil.

hope that helps

regards
                        bob
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Just a quick question about yeast starters.

The sticky about yeast starters....all you need to know, states that the best way to create a good starter is to use some of the must so that the yeast can get used to it's surroundings before pitching.

The yeast starter in Wine Number 3 uses warm water and grape juice. I'm just wondering which method produces the best result or are they just as equal.

While I'm waiting to get the supplies for wine No1, i've been looking and taking notes on the rest of the recipes in the wine making series and would love to know what a christmas pudding wine tastes like.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gaztops View Post
                            The sticky about yeast starters....all you need to know, states that the best way to create a good starter is to use some of the must so that the yeast can get used to it's surroundings before pitching.

The yeast starter in Wine Number 3 uses warm water and grape juice. I'm just wondering which method produces the best result or are they just as equal.
                            The must in wine No3 is grape juice with added Kiwis, so it is in fact some of the must.
                            However, using a little grape juice or indeed apple juice in your starter will work just fine

the m,ost important factor is that the starter is vigorous

regards
                            bob
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gaztops View Post
                              While I'm waiting to get the supplies for wine No1, i've been looking and taking notes on the rest of the recipes in the wine making series and would love to know what a christmas pudding wine tastes like.
                              The next 5 towns wine circle meeting is on the 29th of June, we are approx 1 hour south of you (bring a sleeing bag)

you can taste the Christmas pudding wine that won class 45 at the Yorkshire fed show

regards
                              Bob
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Thanks Bob, i understand now.

Sorry for all the questions, wine making is totally new to me and it is important that I get it right.

I would love to come to the wine circle meeting but unfortunately I have had my driving license suspended because I had 2 mini strokes at the begining of May and spent some time in the Stroke Unit at hospital. I have to rely on others to get about.

I'm only 44 years old, pretty scary.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X