Thread for questions and discussion on new winemaker series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
    I would advise against trying to stop an active fermentation. The usual method is to ferment to dry (i.e. allow it to complete - you'll see the same hydrometer reading for several days), then degas & stabilise (add sulphite and potassium sorbate). Wait a few more days, then sweeten to taste. Take a look at the Wine No.2 tutorial, which explains sweetening in more detail.

The fizziness you can taste is the carbon dioxide given off be fermentation. Some dissolves in the liquid, and the excess comes out of the airlock.
    ok I'll leave it alone for another week or so

Comment

• Acid

As a newbie still experimenting with wine number one and three just have a question on acid. There are two mentioned Citric acid in #1 and tartaric as mentioned in #3 recipe. What effect do they have on the wine? And which is best to use and when?
      Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

• Citric acid will add (surprise) a slightly citrus note to the wine, and will give a slightly fruity note

Tartaric is my favoured acid for most things. "grapey" and wine like

Malic i find a little harsh

I tend to use acid that compliments the natural acids present, ie if the fruit is mostly citric i would likely use tartaric or malic (but most likely tartaric)

hope that helps
        regards
        Bob
        Last edited by Rich; 15-03-2012, 02:12 AM. Reason: removed the word yeast, replaced it with acid then highlighted in red. Love you Bob ;)
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• thanks Bob. I'll get a bulk order in and an acid test kit too.
          Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

• Bob, I do think it's so much nicer in red
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• lol,

cheers Rich
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                Citric acid will add (surprise) a slightly citrus note to the wine, and will give a slightly fruity note

Tartaric is my favoured acid for most things. "grapey" and wine like

Malic i find a little harsh

I tend to use acid that compliments the natural acids present, ie if the fruit is mostly citric i would likely use tartaric or malic (but most likely tartaric)

hope that helps
                regards
                Bob
                Hello Bob

Can I put this acid in after the fermentation has finished? or does it have to be before?
                Malc

Comment

• Hi Malc,

you can add the acid afterwards, but it is (I feel) better if it is added at the start........but acid adjustments post fermentation are fine
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Hi Malc,

you can add the acid afterwards, but it is (I feel) better if it is added at the start........but acid adjustments post fermentation are fine
                    I had a little play with some Tartaric last night and it worked well.

Can someone post a link to recipe 'wine number 3' as I can seem to find it.
                    Malc

Comment

• Originally posted by malcmackenzie View Post
                      Can someone post a link to recipe 'wine number 3' as I can seem to find it.
                      Here you go:
                      Simon
                      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• Hello All

I am doing an experiment with sparkling wine and need to ensure that all the yeast in the base wine is dead and gone without sulphating. Can you tell me a good way to do this? Clearing with Bentonite perhaps? or pasturising?
                        Malc

Comment

• I'm not sure you actually need to do that. Can you let us know the nature of your experiment and we'll advise. Probably
                          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Are you adding additional yeast for secondary ferment? otherwise you will need some yeast present if your going to bottle carbonate.
                            Discount Home Brew Supplies
                            Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                            Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                            National Wine Judge
                            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by malcmackenzie View Post
                              I am doing an experiment with sparkling wine and need to ensure that all the yeast in the base wine is dead and gone without sulphating.
                              you need to make sure all the SUGAR in the base wine has gone.....not the yeast.

be very careful if attempting to make sparkling wine without understanding the process fully, otherwise you could be creating glass hand grenades.

Let us have your ideas and we can advise you better.

regards
                              bob
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

you need to make sure all the SUGAR in the base wine has gone.....not the yeast.

be very careful if attempting to make sparkling wine without understanding the process fully, otherwise you could be creating glass hand grenades.

Let us have your ideas and we can advise you better.

regards
                                bob
                                Hi Bob

To cut a long story short I want to try fermentation by osmosis. In short the yeast does not go into the wine to ferment. However if there is any yeast left in the base wine that comes back to life then the experiment could mislead me as it will look as if the yeast has managed to get into the wine.

So how can I ensure there are no residual yeast cells in the base wine.

Thanks for your advise on being careful and ensuring that I know what I am doing. I have done a lot of sparkling wine now so feel I know what I am doing.
                                Malc

Comment

Working...
                                X