Ginger and clove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ginger and clove

I got a gallon of ginger and clove on the go, recipe from CCJ's book, everything started out fine, starting SG 1090 and fermenting well. Trouble now is that ferment has slowed drastically, only going down by 0002 every seven days.

I have done all the usual checks, including room temp, feeding with yeast nutrient and giving it a stir etc.

I'm happy to leave it as is since i can see its still fermenting and the gravity is coming down.

Is this normal for ginger and clove?

Fermenting shows no mercy to the beginner

Got no answers for you but it sounds like a bloody nice wine.

Comment

It bloody well is mate

Comment

Axl,
        You say the ferment has slowed down, right ?

How long has this been fermenting ?

What is the Sg reading ??

What yeast did you use ??

Comment

Hello David,

Yes the ferment has slowed down,

Its been fermenting now for six weeks approx,

SG at present is 1037,

I use a yeast called Super Yeast from local HBS, known as general purpose yeast.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Are you certain the starting Sg was 1090 ?

Did you re-check the Sg prior to adding the yeast or was it a case of adjust the sg straight away and pitch the yeast ??

Sometimes the sg can alter after the first one is taken prior to starting the ferment, I've had this happen once or twice where i've got everything ready to go Sg checked at 1085 left overnight re-checked 1095 the following day.
            Either I read the Hydrometer in correctly or I hadn't mixed up the ingredients thoroughly.

Comment

We have also had a drop in temperature this last week...that will slow things down too but if its still fermenting then leave it be.

what temp is it at?
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

David,

I rechecked the SG 24hrs later and was correct to the earlier reading, but i'm not quite sure what you mean about pitching the yeast, could this be where i went wrong.

Comment

Oh if it helps i have three other Demijohns right next to the ginger and they are fermenting well

Comment

Working...
                  X