De-Gassing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
    Press reasonable firmly...firm enough to make a seal and suck a few times on the vacuvin......

VOILA!

Vacuum createdand bubbles flow from the wine

Hey Bob I've just been degassing using this method, can I just leave the safety bung in and give a few pumps of the vacuvin every now and then, or do I have to remove the bung each time to release the pressure?

Comment

• I leave mine in
      I wish I was a glow worm
      Cos a glow worm's never glum
      It's hard to be unhappy
      When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

• Originally posted by Pronay View Post
        Hey Bob I've just been degassing using this method, can I just leave the safety bung in and give a few pumps of the vacuvin every now and then, or do I have to remove the bung each time to release the pressure?
        no just leave the bung in
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Yep, leave it in and if you get interrupted your wine is nice and safe until you can get back to it.
          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Thanks guys

Comment

• Well I broke my first demijohn and got a nasty cut on my finger aswell

I was attempting to degas some turbo cider using the vacuvin-bung-safety bung method when I heard a POP, and noticed the dj was leaking at the bottom, so I moved it into the sink, attempted to lift it up to transfer the liquid into a better bottle when the entire bottom came off the dj cutting my finger

It might not have been full enough, about 2 inches below the bung
              Last edited by Tuco; 03-03-2009, 07:20 AM.

Comment

• Ouch! Hope it's not too bad.

I also learnt the benefits of degassing last night. Came home from a very long day at work to find a thin layer of luminous red splatter over all of the dishes that had been left to dry by the sink, and up the wall, and on the window, and covering all the other bottles in the wine rack. The bottle of elderberry wine that I had taken out of the loft at the weekend (where it had been standing upright) had popped its cork and redecorated the kitchen for me.

There was about a glassful left in the bottle which I felt obliged to drink and I noticed a fair amount of fizz, which, combined with a move from a very cold area to quite a warm one, was probably the cause.

And I had thought that it was fully degassed when I bottled it in September. It had a year maturing in the demijohn as well, which I thought helped.

Oh well, thankfully we had tiled the kitchen not too long ago, so it wasn't too hard to clean up, just annoying to wash the dishes for the second time.

Comment

• Ben, I doubt that was a de-gassing problem, as the gas usually dissipates somewhat over time. It sounds more like a re-fermentation to me. Did you stabilise? If not I'd check your other bottles toot sweet
                  Last edited by Mamgiowl; 03-03-2009, 04:29 PM. Reason: added name to avoid confusion as to which post I was answering
                  Let's party

Comment

• Originally posted by Pronay View Post
                    the dj was leaking at the bottom, so I moved it into the sink, attempted to lift it up to transfer the liquid into a better bottle when the entire bottom came off the dj

Been there done that i once had a Tinned strawberry that the bottom fell of the dj when i went to pick it up of the floor. The room had a very fresh fragarance of strawberry by the time i had mopped up. I don't think it is a degassing problem you probably had an airline crack in the dj that you did not notice before you started you may have banged it on the sink or something then when its got the wine in it theres just too much weight and the thing gave way.

I always always check all the dj especailly around the bottoms when im washing them out look out for any kind of airline cracks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                      Ben, I doubt that was a de-gassing problem, as the gas usually dissipates somewhat over time. It sounds more like a re-fermentation to me. Did you stabilise? If not I'd check your other bottles toot sweet
                      Yup absolutly agree, more likely ferment has kicked back in due to the rise in temp rather than not being degassed.

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                      I don't think it is a degassing problem you probably had an airline crack in the dj that you did not notice before you started you may have banged it on the sink or something then when its got the wine in it theres just too much weight and the thing gave way.

I always always check all the dj especailly around the bottoms when im washing them out look out for any kind of airline cracks.
                      Agree here too, had to bin three lately for this reason, have found washing them in hot water the worst offender and you don't alway's see the crack straight away.
                      Discount Home Brew Supplies
                      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Carboys or demi-johns are not made of heat tempered glass heat has a bad effect on them. I leaned this the hard way. I broke two due to sudden heat change. cool water is way better for cleaning.
                        http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

• Originally posted by benarnold View Post
                          Ouch! Hope it's not too bad.

Thanks, it's not too bad, its about a half inch cut across the top of my pinky finger, it sure did bleed a lot though. I tend to bleed a lot though, I remember in Spain I won 2 bottles of Red Wine in a quiz, drank them both, got back to the hotel room, banged my nose, nose bleed, and it was like a gushing tap, the room looked like the scene of a massacre, blood all over the bathroom floor, walls, sink...

I'll be sure to check all my demijohns now for any fractures or cracks, Has anyone else broken a demi???

On the upside... just racked the 5 gal of wine #1 and it's goooooooooooood, leaving 2 gallon to mellow for a week, and going to bottle the rest. Might give my cousin a few bottles, he got assaulted in a pub for no reason and his eye got messed up bad, Newcastle is getting crazy, so hopefully some free wine will perk him up a bit

Comment

• Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                            Ben, I doubt that was a de-gassing problem, as the gas usually dissipates somewhat over time.
                            Ah, that was what I thought regarding de-gassing.

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                            It sounds more like a re-fermentation to me. Did you stabilise? If not I'd check your other bottles toot sweet
                            Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                            Yup absolutly agree, more likely ferment has kicked back in due to the rise in temp rather than not being degassed.
                            I hadn't appreciated that fermentation could restart after such a long time. To be honest though, I didn't take a single hydrometer reading as this was my first ever wine. I have since been a lot better!

What I find strange (probably due to a lack of knowledge) is that the other bottle of the same wine had been sitting in the same place in the wine rack for a couple of months with no problems. Would a sudden temperature change be more likely to trigger the fermentation than a gradual one?

There's only one bottle left now. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble of stabilising and rebottling, I think I'll just drink it

Comment

• Originally posted by benarnold View Post
                              Ah, that was what I thought regarding de-gassing.

I hadn't appreciated that fermentation could restart after such a long time. To be honest though, I didn't take a single hydrometer reading as this was my first ever wine. I have since been a lot better!

What I find strange (probably due to a lack of knowledge) is that the other bottle of the same wine had been sitting in the same place in the wine rack for a couple of months with no problems. Would a sudden temperature change be more likely to trigger the fermentation than a gradual one?

There's only one bottle left now. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble of stabilising and rebottling, I think I'll just drink it
                              Yep - good idea
                              Let's party

Comment

• Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
                                Carboys or demi-johns are not made of heat tempered glass heat has a bad effect on them. I leaned this the hard way. I broke two due to sudden heat change. cool water is way better for cleaning.
                                That's what I do as well: cold water, a cup of uncooked rice, and a jolly good shake. Gleaming DJs every time

Comment

Working...
                                X