Lalvin D-47 equivallent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lalvin D-47 equivallent

Does anyone know of a Lalvin D-47 equivallent. I want it for my first atempt at mead if there is not one i will use Gervin Varietal C or E Yeast.

Anyone any other toughts or is more info required as to the mead i am making.
    Landy

Gervin Varietal D is the same yeast (Narbonne 71B strain)
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by Landy813 View Post
      Does anyone know of a Lalvin D-47 equivallent. I want it for my first atempt at mead if there is not one i will use Gervin Varietal C or E Yeast.

Anyone any other toughts or is more info required as to the mead i am making.
      Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      Gervin Varietal D is the same yeast (Narbonne 71B strain)
      Ok so does that mean that D47 is the same as the 71B-1122 ?

Because it was the 71B that I used when I made the recipe that I posted on the mead recip's page.

I'm wondering as I got some D47 from homebrew heaven in the States (85 cents a packet i.e. about half price of what it might be here).

That might be the one to try next - well after the Wyeast liquid stuff!

regards

John the fatbloke
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
        Ok so does that mean that D47 is the same as the 71B-1122 ?

Because it was the 71B that I used when I made the recipe that I posted on the mead recip's page.
        As much as I hate to differ with Bob, in my opinion, I believe Gervin Varietal B to be a closer counterpart to D47.

Description for D47:
        Use for producing superior quality white wines. Creates full bodied, complex wines with tropical and citrus notes. Often used in Chardonnays with great results, the Beta-glucosidase activity will also enhance fruit flavours and aromas in other varietals such as Sauvignon Blanc, Viognier, Gewurztraminer, Muscat, and Riesling.

Description for Gervin Varietal B:
        Quality white table Rhine strain. This is another high quality aromatic yeast intended for the production of wines with a young fruity bouquet. Ferments down to 10° c.

Gervin D/71B is a great choice for fruit wines, and especially cherry. It has the ability to metabolize up to 35% of the available malic acid.

Steve
        Steve

Comment

Cheers -- Lalvin ICV/D-47 is a yeast that is suggested by many mead makers as one to give a try for your mead making process. I have tried it but am not completely in favor and am surely not entirely against it. It surely is a white wine type yeast and therefore follows to be a light colored mead yeast. For light colored mead yeast I prefer the Red Star Premier Cuvee' or you could go with the Lalvin EC-1118 both of these inhibit ML fermentation and are for high alcohol tolerance use. For the Melomels I prefer the Lalvin 71B-1122 or KIV-1116 or the Red Star Pasture Red - My opinion. Also there are the liquid sweet and dry mead yeasts that are possibilities for mead. Cheers -- Hope this helps. DAW

Comment

Working...
          X