No announcement yet.

Wine won't clear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experience with stone fruit wines tells me that it is just falling clear slowly and if you used pectic enzyme in the beginning, it shouldn't be a problem now. I normally just filter my stone fruit wines after no more precipitate falls after 3 months.
    REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

I tried filtering it with the harris quickfine.........

blocked the bag and is dropping through very slowly, should all be through the filter later this evening (but still not clear) I used Pectin Enzyme at the start, but obviously not enough. I used the same recipe that got me the bronze medal at last years winefest, but this required boiling the plums, I think this is where the problem lies. Will add more pectolase this evening when it finishes dropping through the filter. If I use this recipe again (doubtfull) I will double the ammount of pectolase I add.

regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Looking at the judges score sheets, I lost points for appearance, because of a slight haze......hmmmm
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Looking at the small print on the pectolase tub, Use 2 tsp per gallon if fruit boiled...............So I added 1 tsp per gallon

DOH!

the experimental plum wine I did I added 7 tsp per 5 gallon, it's clearing but very slowly.

so the lesson is.........read the bloody instructions!

another thing on my "things not to do again" list

live and learn.....live and learn

I will take pics of these wines before and after the extra pectolase, probably at the weekend.
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956

so the lesson is.........read the bloody instructions!

another thing on my "things not to do again" list
            Bob;

Reminder!!!!!!!!

Read the list of "things not to do again" before starting your next project, or print them out and place them in a prominent position above your work area.

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by P cuthbert
              Bob;

Reminder!!!!!!!!

Read the list of "things not to do again" before starting your next project, or print them out and place them in a prominent position above your work area.

Pat
              Well I would do, but the list is now so long there isnt room for it on the wall in my work area!!!

DOH....DOH.....and double DOH!

lol

been checking back over my first posts on winepress.us (2004) and I was having trouble with that first batch of plum wine clearing

so maybe I don't live and learn eh?
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Bob,
                What pectolase you using ?

If you havent already try the "super enzyme " in the yellow sachet (Vinclear) i think it is, I find it works alot better for stubborn batches as a last resort when they wont clear on there own accord.

Also take into account next time, do not boil just simmer for 20 mins makes a lot of difference

Comment

Hey I don't get this boiling, or even simmering, thang. Why would we need to do either?
                  REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Originally posted by DAVID
                    Bob,
                    What pectolase you using ?

It's just the standard stuff I got from Alan. either youngs or ritchies. i have a packet of the super enzyme somewhere i think, will try that if this lot of pectolase doesn't clear it.

Originally posted by Hippie
                    Hey I don't get this boiling, or even simmering, thang. Why would we need to do either?
                    I used an old recipe that called for it., I think it's perhaps a throwback to Olde worlde method, perhaps for sterilisation of the must?
                    Next batch will just be fermented on cool plums.

EDIT
                    I think all the recipes I've seen for plum wine call for the water to be boiled and poured over the fruit, can't recollect seeing one that didn't call for this.

anyone got a recipe that doesn't call for this?

regards
                    Bob
                    Last edited by lockwood1956; 19-04-2006, 08:14 AM.
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie
                      A good extraction rate can be achieved when making red wines by heating for a "controlled"period .
                      Normally 150f for about 15/20 mins max.
                      This will extract more colour and flavour but less acids and tannin,the wine will also be lighter and lack the character of the more full bodied reds but will mature quicker ,12 months instead of 2/3 yrs for the full bodied reds.
                      Hence why i sometimes use this method whilst the "fuller uns" are maturing

Comment

Here it is about 20 hours after addition of 2 tsp of pectolase.

I think its clearing a bit...............hmmmm
                        Attached Files
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Yep, looks like it might be! Crossing my fingers for ya.

Thanks for the explanation, David. I agree with Bob that it is the 'old way', however. I find that enough pectic enzyme added 12 hours after the sulphite and 12 hours before the yeast starter will do alot to break down the fruit. A good vigorous fermentation usually takes care of the rest for me.
                          REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Glenvall,

It usually works the same for me,must just be Bob thats having some trouble

Comment

What we say in Arkansas alot:

He ain't a holdin' his mouf right!
                              REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Well added the super enzyme, also extra pectolase and it is stood on a heat mat

STILL not clear

Grrrrrr

Only thing I can think of to try is treatment for starch haze

any ideas gang?

cheers me dears
                                Bob
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X