Vitamin B1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamin B1

I see references to adding a tablet of Vitamin B1 in some of the recipes.

Just wondered:

1) What does this do for the wine?
    2) Why isn't yeast nutrient enough?
    3) When should the vitamin be added (presumably crushed)? And should it be added to all fermentations?
    4) And where do you get 3mg tablets from - my local health store only does 100 or 500mg tablets

Many thanks

Vitamin B1 helps with the building of a healthy yeast colony during the Lag phase of yeast development, (when the yeast are dividing, before fermentation begins)

A good nutrient like Gervin minavit or Tronozymol contains it.

If your must is totally balanced (most fruit musts should be OK) then you will likely not need it. But if you are making a must low in vitamins and trace minerals (root vegetables for example) you will definitely need to add it. Home brew shops sell it in 3mg sizes. (it used to be sold as benerva tablets, some old recipes describe it this way)

Either way, one 3mg tablet per gallon to every must would not do any harm.
    hope this helps
    regards
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_ View Post
      I see references to adding a tablet of Vitamin B1 in some of the recipes.

Just wondered:

1) What does this do for the wine?
      2) Why isn't yeast nutrient enough?
      3) When should the vitamin be added (presumably crushed)? And should it be added to all fermentations?
      4) And where do you get 3mg tablets from - my local health store only does 100 or 500mg tablets

Many thanks
      1. I understand that it's one of the more basic nutrients that yeast likes
      2. Dunno, but I'm thinking that it's a minimum, whereas "complete" yeast nutrients have other stuff as well as B1, like yeast hulls, diammonium phosphate and the like - I haven't actually seen any ingredients listed on boxes/packets of yeast nutrient though.
      3. As per the recipe, some say, for example, using mead, immediately after any heating process - if the recipe requires it, others I've read just say mix juice/water/sugar/yeast nutrient and stir well, so I'd say usually before pitching the yeast.

Though I know that there are some that will add it incrementally i.e. half of the recommended dose prior to pitching yeast, then the other half X amount of time into the ferment, or similar regimes.

4. I haven't checked how much are in the tablets I've got (they're downstairs, the PC is upstairs), but they came from the HBS in Worthing. The ones I have are a Youngs product. I only add B1 if the recipe specifically asks for it - otherwise it's just "proper" yeast nutrient.

I think that's pretty much right Simon though if I've got any of it wrong, some kind person is bound to correct any error.

regards

JtFB
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
        I think that's pretty much right Simon
        10 out of 10 John

well done
        regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
          Vitamin B1 helps with the building of a healthy yeast colony during the Lag phase of yeast development, (when the yeast are dividing, before fermentation begins)

A good nutrient like Gervin minavit or Tronozymol contains it.

If your must is totally balanced (most fruit musts should be OK) then you will likely not need it. But if you are making a must low in vitamins and trace minerals (root vegetables for example) you will definitely need to add it. Home brew shops sell it in 3mg sizes. (it used to be sold as benerva tablets, some old recipes describe it this way)

Either way, one 3mg tablet per gallon to every must would not do any harm.
          hope this helps
          regards
          bob
          Absolutly dude, also flower wines too require the addition of vit b1
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Very clear and extremely helpful

Many thanks

Comment

Working...
            X