Not sure when to degass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure when to degass

Hi everyone thank you for making me feel welcome i have only been making wine kits for about 3 Months and i have never properly degassed a wine in the instructions it never tells you how to degass. I have found the thread on degassing very helpfull i was going to split my wine in the dJ into two and degass them both by shaking then return them back into one is this ok .Also i was just wondering when is the best time to degass a kit wine is it before raking and adding the finings or after racking but before bottling all input appreciated.

your technique will work, do it at the stabilising stage

Rack, degas, stabilise, top up

Hope this helps
    Regards
    Bob
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 29-02-2008, 01:08 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
      Hi everyone thank you for making me feel welcome i have only been making wine kits for about 3 Months and i have never properly degassed a wine in the instructions it never tells you how to degass. I have found the thread on degassing very helpfull i was going to split my wine in the dJ into two and degass them both by shaking then return them back into one is this ok .Also i was just wondering when is the best time to degass a kit wine is it before raking and adding the finings or after racking but before bottling all input appreciated.
      Your good lady advised me you generaly do it first thing on a morning after you've been on the beer, and have never had a problem doing so. But if you are generaly having trouble then I suggest leaning over in your chair, that helps quite a bit.
      :launchpoo

Hope this helps
      Regards
      Duff
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Thank you duffbeer for your technical answer to my question.I am afraid if anybody knows how to degass then it's you i have it on good authority that you let rip on quite a regular basis obviously i cannot name my source but let's just say its close to home. All i can say is was it an earthquake that woke your good lady wife the other night or was it just you letting rip again

Comment

Thank you duffbeer for your technical answer to my question.I am afraid if anybody knows how to degass then it's you i have it on good authority that you let rip on quite a regular basis obviously i cannot name my source but let's just say its close to home. All i can say is was it an earthquake that woke your good lady wife the other night or was it just you letting rip again
          LMAO, nice one mate I asked for that one
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
            LMAO, nice one mate I asked for that one

In my suggestion for both of you, look for a location away from the bulk ageing room, where it is likely to be enclosed and bacteria could cause grave consequences. Check out some area with lots of air movement and away from inhabited areas or areas where pilot lights and furnaces are located. By all means it is best to release slowly in case of an avalanche and we sure do not need that. Cheers to both of you relatives; it must be a roar when both of you get together. Daw

Comment

I agree....naked flames could be problematic
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Im of to the shops today to buy something to help me to degass my wine ive read the thread on degassing and you talk about a whiz stick and a vacuvin are these the best things to use or is there something a bit better.Would i also need to buy a pump and what sort of price am i looking at for these.

Comment

The vacuvin is around £7 and the whizz stick around £12.50

I have a whizz stick, you can borrow it and try it before you buy one, if you like.

at the other end of the scale are vacuum pumps used to degas....can cost up to £350

after saying all of that, stirring the crap out of it with the handle of your spoon, or splitting the batch and shaking as you described, will do the same job
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Thanks for the advice i found a vacuvin or something that looked very similar it was 16 quid so i decided to shop around oh by the way the keighley home brew centre on church street in keighley on the suppliers list is not there anymore its closed down

Comment

Thanks for the advice i found a vacuvin or something that looked very similar it was 16 quid so i decided to shop around oh by the way the keighley home brew centre on church street in keighley on the suppliers list is not there anymore its closed down
                      Cheers Daz, will amend the suppliers list. Your nearest would be Brewking on Leeds road, quite well stocked too.
                      Oh and the vacuvin can be bought on ebay for abouy 6 quid.
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Will look on ebay thanks i have been to brewking on leeds road didn't quite know what to make of it i prefer the place in Brighouse i think they call it things to brew good stock of kits equipment and nice and friendly nothing against brewking just my point of view

Comment

Well I agree, things to brew is very good and I have driven the extra for that reason
                          National Wine Judge
                          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
                          X