More hygiene/sanitation ????'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More hygiene/sanitation ????'s

I can either do a full sterilisation procedure or I can just use a sulphite spray solution.

My "wine thief" won't fit into the top of some of the DJ's I've got (they have moulded screw threads and were probably originally sold full of cider). So I have to use a hydrometer test jar, but it seems that it's suggested/advised that if I did that, I should be dumping the contents after the test. I'm reluctant to do that as it's about 200 ml's out of each gallon, each time I test (i.e. a waste).

So is it adequate to just spray with sulphite or should it really be a full palaver of sterilising world+dog every time ??? Of course the full sterilisation is the ideal, but it's long winded just to do a measurement etc to try and judge the progress of a ferment.

Guidance appreciated

regards

JtFB
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

I keep my test jar clean as possible, then just use the sulphite spray in it, rinse out, test, then pour the contents back in the demijon.

Is your wine thief one of the ones with the hydrometer inside it? Mine has an extra tube, so that it can fit narrow necks.

Rich

Comment

Will a straw fit in ? Might be slow going......

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
        I keep my test jar clean as possible, then just use the sulphite spray in it, rinse out, test, then pour the contents back in the demijon.

Is your wine thief one of the ones with the hydrometer inside it? Mine has an extra tube, so that it can fit narrow necks.

Rich
        It's just a tube with valve at the bottom. I use my own original hydrometer in it.

The DJ's it doesn't fit have moulded threads for a screw on cap - normal bungs/corks only just fit.

As for putting the contents of the testing jar back into the DJ, then if you don't think that there's a problem in that, excellent. One of the books I have says it should be binned - but that's just so wasteful IMO.

I can just keep my "sulphite spray" topped up
        Originally posted by Hippie View Post
        Will a straw fit in ? Might be slow going......

The straw will fit fine, I can even stop it getting to the lees, but it's no good if the mead/wine hasn't got enough "juice" content. I'd end up running to the "Kharzi" all the time

regards

JtFB
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

A spray with the sulphite solution is fine matey

thats all I do

regards
          bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I always keep a spray bottle full of 75% grain alcohol on hand and use it to spritz on things before I dunk them in the wine.

But I would think a sulphite solution should work fine also.

Steve
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
              As for putting the contents of the testing jar back into the DJ, then if you don't think that there's a problem in that, excellent. One of the books I have says it should be binned - but that's just so wasteful IMO.

I can just keep my "sulphite spray" topped up

JtFB
              A glass turkey baster serves well in this John, provided clean, and give a spray with sulphite before use, leave for 3 or 4 mins rinse and away you go, it takes about 3 basters full to fill the trial jar, but it also means no sediment disturbance, and you can pour all back to dj.
              Discount Home Brew Supplies
              Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
              Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
              National Wine Judge
              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                A glass turkey baster serves well in this John, provided clean, and give a spray with sulphite before use, leave for 3 or 4 mins rinse and away you go, it takes about 3 basters full to fill the trial jar, but it also means no sediment disturbance, and you can pour all back to dj.
                This is what I use ... I had to improvise.
                Just make sure you expel the air from the bulbous part of the baster, prior to putting it into the liquid. If you dont, it does disturb the sediment
                Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                  A spray with the sulphite solution is fine matey

thats all I do

regards
                  bob
                  Excellent. That's what I'll do on the next batch then.
                  Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                  I always keep a spray bottle full of 75% grain alcohol on hand and use it to spritz on things before I dunk them in the wine.

But I would think a sulphite solution should work fine also.

Steve
                  If it's potable, it's hugely expensive Steve. The only alcohol that's cheap here would be something like "Surgical Spirit" Steve, which has been "denatured" in someway. They don't say how that's done so I'd be better placed with just a sulphite solution.
                  Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                  I tried that before, it did work but the baster is polycarbonate with a silicone bulb. I'll have to look out for a glass one.
                  Originally posted by spritzer View Post
                  This is what I use ... I had to improvise.
                  Just make sure you expel the air from the bulbous part of the baster, prior to putting it into the liquid. If you dont, it does disturb the sediment
                  Excellent. So now when I find a glass one I can crack on, without too much worrying about contaminating a batch.

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

No need to rinse off the sulphite solution.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
                      No need to rinse off the sulphite solution.

Right ho!

Thanks for the clarification.

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                      X