Elder Flowers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elder Flowers

I've got some dried elder flowers and they smell of ammonia and have no discernible taste, is this normal? Should they be used?
    sigpic

Hi Daab, that is normal for dried elderflower, I have used them and dislike them, the ammonia smell does transfer to the wine and they also impart a bitter taste. I certainly won't use them again. However elderflower season will soon be here and fresh flowers make a wonderful wine, if you can't wait till then there's quite a lot of juices and cordials such as apple and elderflower which work well.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Cheers DB, i'll leave the wine as is, I bought them to infuse into an elder flower wine kit to increase the flavour. Shame as the existing flavour that came from a packet supplied with the kit was quite pleasant, just a little too faint.

I take it I can just buy any wine kit or even white wine grape concentrate and make fresh elderflower wine in the same way I did the kit (by simply adding them to the demijohn)?
      sigpic

Comment

Yes you could, here's a simple one follow Bob's wine #1 recipe in the new wine makers area and just add a handfull of fresh flowers in primary and Bob's yer uncle
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

His Uncle?

I don't even know his sister
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Cheers DB, Still waiting for my Easter Egg Bob
            sigpic

Comment

OK I give up, I can't find Bob's #1 wine recipe (although found lots of other useful stuff)
              sigpic

Comment

Beginners thread, build your skills over a series of wines, a step by step guide, to better winemaking

Have a look in there..

Hth

Rich

Comment

Here you go.......

This will be a supermarket juice wine, as this is the easiest wine to make.....should be ready to drink in about 4-5 weeks...oh and it tastes good too! :) follow the recipe and method closely and dont be tempted to alter anything, we want to build winemaking skills, and so will start with this simple wine, and then progress

add the fresh elderflowers once ferment at 1.030 (ish) so you are not blowing off the flower bouquet with the violent bit at the start of the ferment.

Adding them late will give you an alcohol extraction Rather than fermentation (that is how they make perfume)

hope this helps
                  regards
                  Bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

oooooo

we posted simultaneously Rich
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

ooooooooo, I feel violated

How was it for you, doing it together?

Rich

Comment

That's great chaps, the new members area was about the only place I didn't look

btw as I have a Harris Quick Fine Filter I was thinking of passing my current wine through there as the majority of the yeast has dropped out after only a day after adding issinglass, it's degassed and I suspect the remaining haze may take a while longer where as I figured it might be easier to get it into a second demi to bulk age and leave until Dec' (as I haven't go any bottles yet).
                        Last edited by Daft as a Brush; 20-03-2008, 08:57 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                          How was it for you, doing it together?
                          I think I'm pregnant
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Fresh Elderflower

Elderflowers need to be picked at the correct time. This is when they are starting to drop of the stalkes usualy towards the end of june. Also they need to be added to the near finished wine as soon as posible after picking. and remember to pick the flowers in to a paper bag and definetly not a plastic bag as this will make them sweat. dried elderflowers are bad news and should not be used. Remember a flower is very delicate and will not survive drying.

Comment

Originally posted by Daft as a Brush View Post
                              I've got some dried elder flowers and they smell of ammonia and have no discernible taste, is this normal? Should they be used?
                              I did a couple of gallons end of last summer with dried Elderflowers from a HB shop and it still tastes and wouldn't try them again, I cant seem to bring myself to ditching them but its pretty close,

Regards Scott....
                              A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.

Comment

Working...
                              X