Go-Ferm and Fermaid-K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go-Ferm and Fermaid-K

I seem to come across these products over and over again - especially when reading stuff on forums or websites that appear to be located in the US.

Now I know that they're proprietary Lalvin/Lallemand products but I'd like to give them a try (particularly the Fermaid-K).

So does anyone know where I might get some in the UK (yes I've found some places that will sell it/them in 1KG packs but I doubt whether I'd need that much, plus it might have a "use by" date)

regards

JtFB
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Tronozymol (available at most hem brew stores) will do exactly the same job....

it comntains all the trace minerals salts and vitamins ..including B1 that your must needs
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Gervin produve one too (minavit??)

and brupaks suppliers will carry vitamon ultra (same stuff)
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

John there's a guy on Ebay (US) selling both at a reasonable price although it is for 8oz quantities, he has quoted 1 pound would be $11.00 USD First Class International.
        So for around £16 for both its roughly twice as much as Tronozymol, but it does seem that Go-Ferm and Fermaid K are higher priced than usual Nutrients and Energizer's see what you think,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Go-Ferm-8oz-Yeas...QQcmdZViewItem

Regards Scott.......
        A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.

Comment

Originally posted by happymondays View Post
          John there's a guy on Ebay (US) selling both at a reasonable price although it is for 8oz quantities, he has quoted 1 pound would be $11.00 USD First Class International.
          So for around £16 for both its roughly twice as much as Tronozymol, but it does seem that Go-Ferm and Fermaid K are higher priced than usual Nutrients and Energizer's see what you think,

Regards Scott.......
          Outstanding, cheers Scott.

Nashwood Winery does seem to have an excellent range of stuff - about half of which, I wish was more easily available here (well at least at my local HBS ).

Ha! there was me thinking about ordering some in bulk and then offering here, for cost.

As Bob says, the Fermain-K is probably the same as stuff like Tronozymol, but when you look at any recipes at Gotmead, they always say about Fermaid and Go-Ferm, hence I'd like to give it a try (along with Tronozymol and the one that Bob mentioned from Brouwland). I might even make a couple of half gallon batches for comparison purposes.

Perhaps I should spend more time looking around for "supplies", instead of playing Backgammon, cards, or loitering around the tech sites (the linux based ones), and then getting frustrated when my search for specifics is unsuccessful

Again, TVM for the link, very much appreciated.

regards

JtFB
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

No problem, I did look into the Fermaid K and Go-Ferm as you say there all over the Got Mead site so there must be some use in them.

On the Lallemand site there is some good Q and A's and Ken Schramm has asked some questions on there too with some interesting reading.

I have been adding a pinch of Tronozymol to my starters but I am sure Lallemand say that too much of Diammonium Phosphate can be toxic to the yeast so early especially in a starter, so adding Go-Ferm instead from which I can gather is a Natural Yeast Nutrient will give it a healthy start before adding to the must.

Ha been doing too much research but its bl***y good learning new ideas

Here's some good reading,

http://www.lalvinyeast.com/library.asp

http://www.lallemandwine.us/products...nt_strains.php

Just need to find about potassium carbonate now,

Best regards Scott.....

p.s. Oskaar even has a question!
            Last edited by happymondays; 30-03-2008, 12:23 PM.
            A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.

Comment

Working...
            X