Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi! Newbie needing a bit of advice please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sb44 View Post

but there would be nothing esle I would need to go for

Not needing anything has never stopped me going to the homebrew shop.. always end up finding things I 'need' when i'm there!!

Why not just drill a hole in the top for your airlock, then seal it around with some bluetack (on the outside..)

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
      Never mind - I tried.
      Yep, thanks for that.

I did do a search but only found two, one in Stafford and the other north of Stoke.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
        Not needing anything has never stopped me going to the homebrew shop.. always end up finding things I 'need' when i'm there!!

Why not just drill a hole in the top for your airlock, then seal it around with some bluetack (on the outside..)

Rich
        Yes but you know what you are looking for.

I'm a total newbie so without having an exact list of what's needed I would probably come home with a load of stuff I didn't need.

Comment

Yes but you know what you are looking for.

I'm a total newbie so without having an exact list of what's needed I would probably come home with a load of stuff I didn't need.

Thanks for the complement! But, I usually have no idea what I'm looking for!! Make it up on the spot.. and buy way more than I'm supposed to!

I started with a few books.. then progressed to reading the internet from cover to cover! (or at least trying to)

Rich

Comment

SB44

The Jolly Brewer.
            1 The Avenue.
            Kidsgrove
            Stoke-On-Trent.
            Staffordshire.
            ST7-1AD

This is the HBS I use. Its not far own the A34. He is really helpful and it is well worth a trip for free advice and sometimes samples . Parking is free just round the corner.

Andy
            To err is human.. to drink divine...

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
              Trust a Yorkshireman to find the "cost effective" option
              I'm sure it was you that told me bout this Bob

Seriously though, home brew shops will sell you the same sort of container for £1.99 - £2.50, get one from the supermarket for 79p with free water!!

With the grommit, you will need a flat wood drill bit (1/2" I think). Stick an airlock in your pocket next time you go to Maplin or City Electrical etc, you will then be able to find the best fit.
              Last edited by Richard S; 27-03-2008, 08:59 PM.
              National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by Andirou View Post
                SB44

The Jolly Brewer.
                1 The Avenue.
                Kidsgrove
                Stoke-On-Trent.
                Staffordshire.
                ST7-1AD

This is the HBS I use. Its not far own the A34. He is really helpful and it is well worth a trip for free advice and sometimes samples . Parking is free just round the corner.

Andy
                Yep, this it the one that I had seen as well as the one in Stafford. I may see how I get on with the couple of number 1 wines that I will be starting tomorrow.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
                  I'm sure it was you that told me bout this Bob

Seriously though, home brew shops will sell you the same sort of container for £1.99 - £2.50, get one from the supermarket for 79p with free water!!

With the grommit, you will need a flat wood drill bit (1/2" I think). Stick an airlock in your pocket next time you go to Maplin or City Electrical etc, you will then be able to find the best fit.
                  Yes, I got 3 from Asda today, 77p each.

I think our neighbour has a ton of drill bits, shall have to get him to sort the bottle tops out for me.

Ta!

Comment

Ok, I have put the juices, sugar etc into the demi.

I am about to pitch the yeast.

I bought Youngs Super Wine Yeast Compound (only thing I could get locally) and it says to add one heaped teaspoon to one gallon.

Do I put it into a glass first with a bit of warm water and leave it for 15 mins and then add it to the demi or just sprinkle it into the demi?

Plus, once in there, do I give it all a good mix again with the spoon handle?

Ta.

Comment

I've never used a Hydrometer before and have read up on it but I am not sure if I have read this correctly.

Is this what the reading should look like before adding the yeast?

Comment

yes, that looks near enough 1.082.

test jar looks full too!!

rich

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                          yes, that looks near enough 1.082.

test jar looks full too!!

rich
                          Thanks Rich.

It is a very thin tube that the hydrometer came in so there really isn't all that much wine in there.

I won't put as much in next time.

I put some warm water in with the yeast in a small glass and it has been sat in there for about 20mins or so.

Do I just give it a stir now whilst in the glass, pour it into the demi and give it another stir then leave it?

Comment

Ok, I have put the juices, sugar etc into the demi.

I am about to pitch the yeast.

I bought Youngs Super Wine Yeast Compound (only thing I could get locally) and it says to add one heaped teaspoon to one gallon.

Do I put it into a glass first with a bit of warm water and leave it for 15 mins and then add it to the demi or just sprinkle it into the demi?

Plus, once in there, do I give it all a good mix again with the spoon handle?

Ta.
                            This type of gp yeast is designed to be just sprinkled on top and gently stirred in.

I've never used a Hydrometer before and have read up on it but I am not sure if I have read this correctly.

Is this what the reading should look like before adding the yeast?

Yes, you have a sg of 1.081 which will result in about 11 %.
                            Discount Home Brew Supplies
                            Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                            Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                            National Wine Judge
                            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I put some warm water in with the yeast in a small glass and it has been sat in there for about 20mins or so.

Do I just give it a stir now whilst in the glass, pour it into the demi and give it another stir then leave it?
                              Does it look like the yeast has grown at all? frothy head? It should be ok, as that is what the packet says for the super wine yeast isn't it (from memory??)

There is a thread on making a yeast starter, to make sure of a really good start.

Comment

Should I just put this in then or chuck it and sprinkle 1 teaspoon in?

Comment

Working...
                                X