Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi! Newbie needing a bit of advice please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put it in it will still be OK.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
      Does it look like the yeast has grown at all? frothy head? It should be ok, as that is what the packet says for the super wine yeast isn't it (from memory??)

There is a thread on making a yeast starter, to make sure of a really good start.
      http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=1996

No it's not really frothy, the grey big bits have expanded and look like a sludge (I say big grey bits as some of it was brown like my bread making yeast with bigger granules like tiny rocks).

Yep, it's Young's Super Wine Yeast Compound.

I did read a thread about starting the yeast, I thought that is what I was doing by adding the warm water and leaving for 15 mins or so.

Comment

add a pinch or two of sugar to it. The yeast need something to work with.

A bit of nutrient and energiser helps it too.
        Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
        Twitter: VirtualWineO
        Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Originally posted by Danina View Post
          add a pinch or two of sugar to it. The yeast need something to work with.

A bit of nutrient and energiser helps it too.
          I put some yeast nutrient with the citric acid in with the sugar syrup.

Do I still need to put some more sugar in to the demijohn as well?

Comment

Its not really clear to me....

have you made a yeast starter....or just hydrated the yeast in a glass of warm water....or have you chucked it in the DJ?

if you chucked it in the DJ give it 24-36 hours to start.....

if you put it in a glass of warm water, then add a little citric acid nutrient and sugar to it (a pinch of each)

if you made a yeast starter it should have burst immediately into action

hope this helps

regards
            Bob
            Last edited by lockwood1956; 28-03-2008, 08:40 PM.
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Quick "Grommet" comment.

Looking at the pics of the maplins grommets, there is no reason why they shouldn't work - sealwise that is.

But I'm thinking along the lines of "you don't know what they're made out of". The maplins ones are designed for protection of electrical cables, that need to pass though hard material panels, like metals and plastic, to prevent any chaffing to the cable, from movement.

The one that Jan linked is designed purely to act as a seal for an airlock/bubbler. Plus having looked at the ones I have, they appear to be made from "plain rubber" - the only disadvantage of which, that I can think of, is eventual hardening/cracking - though that would be a year or two down the line.

The disadvantage of the maplins one(s) being that the material used may offer small amounts of some form of chemical contamination.

After all, you only have to read this to appreciate the potential hazards of using things designed for electrics/electronics, for other purposes i.e. food/wine production.

PCB's are VVV nasty.

That's my 2pence worth.

regards

JtFB
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

the ones that Jan linked to will definitely be food grade, I wouldn't risk the Maplins ones

regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                  Its not really clear to me....

have you made a yeast starter....or just hydrated the yeast in a glass of warm water....or have you chucked it in the DJ?

if you chucked it in the DJ give it 24-36 hours to start.....

if you pit it in a glass of warm water, then add a little citric acid nutrient and sugar to it (a pinch of each)

if you made a yeast starter it should have burst immediately into action

regards
                  Bob
                  When you say 'Have you made a yeast starter' I thought putting the yeast in some warm water was making a yeast starter.........

I followed the instructions for the number 1 wine ie:

Put juices in dj

added warm water to sugar to dissolve it

added one teaspoon of citric acid and one teaspoon of yeast nutrient to water and sugar mixture (once it was cool)

poured into dj

put a teaspoon of Youngs Super Yeast Compound in a bit of warm water in a glass and left it for 15mins

stirred yeast in glass and then put into jd with everything else and gave it a stir

This was all done and dusted at 5pm (today).

Just been to take a look and there is a thin layer of bubbly scum for want of a better word on the surface of both djs and a bit of sediment on the bottom of both.

I looked at your pics Bob and the yeast in the glass didn't look frothy like yours, just looked like it had expanded and soaked up some of the water.

Comment

You have rehydrated the yeast...not made a yeast starter...info on yeast starters here

but don't worry, rehydrating the yeast will work just fine, just give it a few hours

regards
                    Bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Yep, if I get any grommits I shall get them from a HB shop.

May get my friend to get some from her local HB shop and post them to me, will save a bit on p+p then.

Comment

Originally posted by sb44 View Post
                        I looked at your pics Bob and the yeast in the glass didn't look frothy like yours, just looked like it had expanded and soaked up some of the water.
                        I used a better quality yeast than Youngs.....

but again don't worry, yours will be fine.

regards
                        Bob
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I used a better quality yeast than Youngs.....

but again don't worry, yours will be fine.

regards
                          Bob
                          Thanks Bob.

You know what it's like when you do something new for the first time you are never quite sure.

Cheers!

Comment

it will be fizzing away merrily soon enough
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

it will be fizzing away merrily soon enough
                              Fingers crossed.

Comment

Here they are after 3 hours, can you see the obvious mistake?

Comment

Working...
                                X