Time to clear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to clear?

Hi all, new member, I look forward to getting to know you all!

Typically, how long does country wine in a DJ take to clear? (without adding any chemicals to speed up the process).

My Elderberry wine has been racked twice, campden tablets have now been added and any fermentation stopped several weeks ago. The DJ's are located in a nice dark, cool larder and have been there for a couple of weeks now. I checked them last night with a torch, shining it through the bottle, they seemed to have improved over the last couple of weeks but are still some way from being clear and ready for bottling.

How long do you think I will have to wait?
    Boo

Hi Boo

Welcome aboard

your Elderberry I'm afraid will clear when its good and ready (bless it!) if you use finings then it will clear quicker, but seeing as it wont really be ready to drink and at its best for 1 year (at least) I really wouldnt hurry the process. Let it sit and mature in its own time.

in the meantime make some of Daivd's turbo cider, it will distract you from the Elderberry, or try Joe Mattioli's ancient orange and spice mead, it is ready much quicker, if it tastes anywhere near as good as it smells then im looking forward to a merry meady christmas

welcome to the forum we hope you enjoy your time here, I looked at your website.....very nice

oooo sorry I reckon bottle at about 6 months. (ish)
    but it wouldnt hurt (unless you need the demijohn) to let it sit for a year in the DJ stops you drinking it too.
    i made 2 gallon Elderberry last year ...drank 1 gallon straight away...it was nice
    tasted the other after 1 year...unbelievable difference
    the stuff that was left is now ageing on oak cubes with brandy additions and should make nice port

regards
    Bob
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 25-10-2005, 10:13 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Bob, I'm definitely coming to your house
      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

clearing

I agree with Bob. With monthly or so rackings and bulk aging, it will clear on it's own, giving you used pectic enzyme in the must. I am thinking of using bentonite in the must of my country wines and sparkaloid at stabilizing, just as the kits do.
        REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Bentonite huh?

so you finally have turned to the dark side

(very heavy breathing in background!) ........your finings are weak old man!
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

lockwood- thanks for the advice, I am happy to leave it to muture gently, no rush. :munching_

I have 6lb of frozen Elderberrys waiting for my next batch, anyone got a recipe idea? bearing in mind the season and whats available.

Cheers
            Graham.
            Boo

Comment

Yup

make a standard batch of elderberry wine (1 gal) using CJJ Berry recipe and convert it to elderberry port

yummy yummy yummy
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

So who'd have thought it, Hippie using bentonite !!!!!!

So the earth's not flat then

Ian
                Ian&Pat
                www.grapeinventions.co.uk

Comment

Agreed?

I agree with Bob and Ian and Patricia, but not about my finings being weak or the false rumour of my dark side dabblings.

:launchpooDarth Vader
                  REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Working...
                  X