Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which supermarket juices make the strongest wine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which supermarket juices make the strongest wine?

I have just made up two batches of number one wines. These are my first ever attempts without using kits so god know what they are going to be like.

One is green grape and apple the other red grape and apple.

Looking at the readings and with a lot of help from other members on here (thanks folks) it looks like the white is 11% and the rose 9%.

Do I assume the green grapes make your wine more potent?

Does anyone know what other supermarket juices I can use that may give me either 11% or higher?

We have a friend coming to stay in the summer and I want to be able to give him a couple of glasses of basic number one wine and for him to know he has drank them! I don't think he believes I can make anything which is alcoholic and drinkable out of such basic ingredients so I want to prove him wrong.

It's all to do with sugar content and starting gravity, you can add a sugar solution (sugar mixed with hot water) to increase the sg to 1.090 approx 12%, but I would advise no higher with a white or rose wine, as it will be out of ballance with the rest of the wine. You also need to consider that you are using gp yeast that is likely to end in a stuck ferment if your sg is too high.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

It'd be easy to make a fairly potent wine, but as Duff has said, it'd be out of balance.

Decent yeast, ec-1118, highish starting gravity and sugar feeding could get you a dry wine at 18% or there abouts.

Parsnips are on cheap at tescos at the moment, could be made with those.. Then it's bound to taste yuk!!

Do you want to make a wine to taste good & impress him, or just get him drunk and have a banging head the next day?

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post

Do you want to make a wine to taste good & impress him, or just get him drunk and have a banging head the next day?

Rich
        Top advice there Rich.
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
          Top advice there Rich.
          Why thank you Duffman! But, it was also a serious question.

Why not keep some of your wine no1 to impress him with, then make a headbanger rocketfuel type wine also? Then pour him a Bob sized portion of the rocket fuel, after he's tasted the good stuff!

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
            It'd be easy to make a fairly potent wine, but as Duff has said, it'd be out of balance.

Decent yeast, ec-1118, highish starting gravity and sugar feeding could get you a dry wine at 18% or there abouts.

Parsnips are on cheap at tescos at the moment, could be made with those.. Then it's bound to taste yuk!!

Rich
            Nope, wasn't trying to impress him, he isn't a very big drinker, his downfall is chocolate!

Just want to let him know you can get tipsy on basic supermarket juice wine.

Comment

much better to have 10-12% wine in balance with good flavour, that is enjoyable to drink, but isnt rocket fuel.....

avoid the temptation to higher alc hot wines, they are pants
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Wine No 1 with a start SG of 1.080 that ferments to 0.990 will return alcohol by volume of 12.5%

if it stops at 1.000 then it will be around 11%

you really dont want any more alcohol than that, wine No1 is around the same quality you would get from a £3 to £4 bottle of supermarket bought wine, so you should impress him with it.....

wait and see, you will be amazed at how good it is, and if you age it a little (3 months or so) it will be even better

regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                X