No announcement yet.

Improving wine by using magnets.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lmao lol got visions of the postie about to push the letter through the letterbox and whooosh, flies out his hand and sticks to the letterbox lol

RM actually have some restrictions on certain strength magnets which you're not allowed to post, im sure these will be fine though.

Comment

Originally posted by 5thElement View Post
      lmao lol got visions of the postie about to push the letter through the letterbox and whooosh, flies out his hand and sticks to the letterbox lol

RM actually have some restrictions on certain strength magnets which you're not allowed to post, im sure these will be fine though.
      I have learnt my lesson. I will be wrapping them in cardbard and then bubblewrap.

If you don't wrap them in cardboard first, even with bubble wrap around they stick to the side of the fridge! We had a good game of chucking the envelope at the radiator to try and see where it landed! Easily amused.

Comment

Originally posted by sb44 View Post
        Forgot to say if you have a pacemaker fitted Bob don't let it get anywhere near that or your bank cards......... or you've had it!
        Not quite I understand about the pacemaker?

Are the magnets that strong that it gets ripped out of the skin?
        Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
        Twitter: VirtualWineO
        Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Originally posted by Danina View Post
          Not quite I understand about the pacemaker?

Are the magnets that strong that it gets ripped out of the skin?
          They have something like a 12,000 gauss rating (that means nothing to me) so I suppose they are that poweful they can interfere with the electrical stuff in the pacemaker.

Comment

For *strong* magnets, try old computer disk drives. When I have one that fails, I always take it apart to destroy the disk inside ("only the paranoid survive"). I can't resist saving the permanent magnet that is part of the mechanism that moves the recording head. These are about 15mm x 40mm (or 5/8 in x 11/2in in real units) and so strong they will jump at a radiator from a distance of an inch or so with a satisfying clang.

Hope that's clear - just tested a bottle of 2005 elderberry and blackberry to destruction...

Seriously and without wishing to derail this thread totally (is this possible I ask?) my wife swears by these magnets for pain relief

Chris
            Last edited by chris_b; 04-04-2008, 09:24 PM. Reason: cerebral numbness

Comment

I've not tasted using the magnets yet.....but Karl and i will test them sometime soon

.......watch this space
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Dr Magnets Pike AKA Bob, what do you need magnets for? None of your wines taste bad enough to try em on do they?
                National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
                  Dr Magnets Pike

SCIENCE!!

I loved him, he was great wasn't he?
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Best place for large/strong permanent magnets is the local tip!

Just ask them to put any old (the larger the better) speakers to one side.

Then just pillage them (the magnets) from the back of a large base woofer (or two).

They might have steel mounting surface plates but that's not a problem - afterall, the steel is usually galvanised, but as you probably aren't putting them in the wine (well I shouldn't have thought so) - it's a non-issue.

regards

JtFB
                    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by chris_b View Post
                      For *strong* magnets, try old computer disk drives. When I have one that fails, I always take it apart to destroy the disk inside ("only the paranoid survive"). I can't resist saving the permanent magnet that is part of the mechanism that moves the recording head. These are about 15mm x 40mm (or 5/8 in x 11/2in in real units) and so strong they will jump at a radiator from a distance of an inch or so with a satisfying clang.

Hope that's clear - just tested a bottle of 2005 elderberry and blackberry to destruction...

Seriously and without wishing to derail this thread totally (is this possible I ask?) my wife swears by these magnets for pain relief

Chris
                      Chris, I would have also mentioned this but as people think using them on the wine is a load of hogwash I wasnt' going to mention the idea of using them as a form of pain relief but that was the reason I bought them originally.

Sharon

Comment

Well my buddy Ray Hamer has a company selling magnetic devices to improve all sorts of areas in life, and he has a customer base that swears by them

so I will test with interest (a blind testing too) and will post the results on here....busy tomorrow as its Doncaster wine show and Karl and I are heavily involved with the organisation of the event
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                        X