Frozen pulp blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen pulp blocks

Instead of leaving loads of bags of frozen Blackberries out overnight to defrost then mashing them, can I just wash, mash and freeze each batch as I pick them. Then when I am ready to make the wine I can just drop the frozen blocks of pulp strait into the primary, pour on hot water and I’m away.

Any thoughts please.

Can't see any problem with doing that. Just remember to weigh them before processing so you know how many blocks to put in the fermenter when you're ready.
    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

The hot water will release pectins

a "slightly" different approach is required....i.e. no hot water.........hot water releases pectins
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        The hot water will release pectins

a "slightly" different approach is required....i.e. no hot water.........hot water releases pectins
        But wouldn't the adding of pectic enzyme combat that?
        HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Hi Lockwood, as Her Lushness says, would'nt pectic enzyme work. I have seen lots of recipes advising the use of hot water, not just to defrost but mainly to help extract colour, flavour etc. Not questioning your judgment, just trying to learn. Thanks

Comment

Some fruit give a "cooked" flavour if heated - apples being a good example.

So it maybe worth doing the weight thing and labelling the bags, but still getting them out to defrost in the usual manner.

Of course, there's also the point about the pectin. Surely it's easier for the enzyme to deal with the smaller amount generated by defrosted fruit, than a larger amount that might be released by the hot water (that's if I understand how it works correctly).

regards

JtFB
            Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

As I understand it....
              Freezing breaks down the cell walls of the fruit making it easier to release it's juice.

So I dont really see the benefit if mashing before freezing.
              I just tipped all of mine into the PF to defrost, then hit them with the potato masher.
              I wish I was a glow worm
              Cos a glow worm's never glum
              It's hard to be unhappy
              When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

I think Ivan's thinking is that he picks X amount of blackberries, deals with them and does the same with the next batch until he has enough for his recipe. This way when he comes to start the brew itself there will be less hassle.

I see no need to add any hot water however. Blocks dropped into the PF containing lukewarm water will adequately start the defrosting process and will not produce a 'cooked' flavour.
                Let's party

Comment

Sound advice, boiling water as stated releases additional pectin, can cause a "cooked" flavour, it can also drive off delicate flavours and aroma's. Pectolase, whilst breaking down the pectin, will also help with colour and flavour extraction.
                  I never use boiling water in any of my wines unless 100% nessicary ie PARSNIP
                  Discount Home Brew Supplies
                  Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                  Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                  National Wine Judge
                  N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Mamgiowl, that's exactly what I was thinking. And thanks to the others on the advice on the hot water bit. I shall take this approach but just use warm water, cheers.

Comment

Glad to be of service
                      Let's party

Comment

Working...
                      X