Heat Shrink Capsules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Shrink Capsules

How do I get capsules to have a professional look?

I use the smallest ring on our gas cooker at the lowest setting but I can never get an even finish.

The ones I have do not have a brand name is that the reason?

Any help would be great.

John

I take it you are using steam, not heat from the gas ring!?

I find if I start to apply heat/steam at the base of the cap first (not the top end) and turn steadily I acheive a neater finish.

I use a saucepan which has a small pouring point, keep the lid on and the steam is directed.
    Boo

Comment

Hairdryer

Comment

I put on oven gloves, and use the steam from the kettle and rotate the bottle slowly in the steam. You need the gloves on cos if you hold the button down to keep the kettle boiling continuosly it gets a bit hot...

...and don't let your partner catch you doing this coz "apparantly" it's not very good for your kettle...

I keep on meaning to try the hairdryer method, but I value my hairdryer more than my kettle.
        HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Tried the hairdryer just could not get it to work i use the steam from the kettle it boils realy well from being on a gas ring instead of electric and just turn the botlle while holding the top down with a knife(just so i don't burn my fingers) works every time

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
            Tried the hairdryer just could not get it to work i use the steam from the kettle it boils realy well from being on a gas ring instead of electric and just turn the botlle while holding the top down with a knife(just so i don't burn my fingers) works every time
            Yup, thats how I do them too, leaves a nice even finish.
            Discount Home Brew Supplies
            Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
            Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I take it you are using steam, not heat from the gas ring!?

Do you mean steam (the invisible bit by the spout) or water vapour (the white fluffy stuff)?

Either way it looks like me holding the bottle six inches from the ring is too fierce I'll try the hairdrier method.

This reminds me when I tried to be chefy with a creme brulee. I used the electric paint stripper and blew sugar all over the kitchen.

Comment

Actually an electric paint stripper on a medium heat will work too.
                Discount Home Brew Supplies
                Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                National Wine Judge
                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I use a kettle, very bad for the environment and the kettle though lol woops
                  Winer Swapper Extraordinaire
                  Wanna swap your wine for something exciting? follow the link:

http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=2568

Comment

The best method I have tried to date.

Boil a pan of water then reduce the heat to a simmer. Place capsule over bottle neck, hold in place with a knife then turn bottle upside down and slowly immerse the capsule in the water untill it has all contracted. This only takes seconds to do so the bottle won't be harmed.
                    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Thats the method I use, but i use a slotted spoon to hold ther shrink in place....although i tend to not use them any more.....
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I use this method too, but being a tough old bird I hold the edge of shrink cap tight with my fingers, slowly imerse the bottle and let go of the cap before the water gets me. This way there are no air bubbles or wrinkles.
                        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I've achieved good results with both a hair dryer and hot running water.

The hair dryer technique might need a bit of practice (on the end of a broom handle), but once the hair dryer is up to temperature it should make the plastic shrink quite slowly as it's only just hot enough.

With the hot water method, I just run the tap until it's as hot as it will go, then place the cap over the top of the bottle, holding the shrink in place on the edge with a finger, then run the water over the top part (bottle facing downwards). The shrink will usually form onto the shape of the top of the bottle enough to angle the bottle upwards toward the flow of water allowing you to finish the job properly.

Or you could try a "hot air paint stripper" but make sure that you are careful about how close the machine is from the plastic as it's quite a fierce heat, but it should do the trick.

regards

JtFB
                          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Steam from the kettle for me too, if I've only got a few to do, If I have a batch of 30 or more I'll boil a pan of water and use the slotted spoon.

I've tried a hairdryer but it wasn't that good, and the paint stripper gun I thought was a little too fierce.

Comment

I use a paint stripper gun, do have a few melt if i am not careful.
                              Getting better with age just like wine

Comment

Working...
                              X