Why no Tannin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why no Tannin?

I have read in various books that Tannin, as they descibe it, brings a wine to life giving it vinosity, character and a good bite, and that without it a wine would be dull and flat.

However, I have seen many recipes that do not list it in the ingredients, i.e Orange, Apricot, Date etc. I know some fruits already have plenty in like the good old Elderberry but a lot like the one's mentioned do not, or so I believe.

Can the more experianced among you tell me why these recipes may not list it, if it is supposed to do a wine such good? What would happen if I put a little in?

Thanks.

The level of tannin in a wine is a personal taste thing, but it is good in a big red wine as long as it isnt too much.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

One reason I can see is that tannin and acid don't balance each other. With a more acidic wines, such as citrus, you wouldn't want much tannin because the resulting wine would taste harsh.
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
        One reason I can see is that tannin and acid don't balance each other. With a more acidic wines, such as citrus, you wouldn't want much tannin because the resulting wine would taste harsh.
        I hope this is on subject. Would this be the reason some kits that use skins remain harsh for a long time? Second part If I added acidex would this help this out if done during kit setup/
        http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Working...
        X